Under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, all Local Authorities and National Park Authorities in Scotland have a statutory duty to prepare a Core Paths Plan that will "provide the basic framework of routes sufficient for the purpose of giving the public reasonable access throughout their area. The basic framework of routes will link into, and support, wider networks of other paths".
The vision for Aberdeen's Core Paths Plan is to "form a complete paths network throughout the City, encouraging healthy and sustainable access opportunities for all".
The Core Paths Plan forms a key part of outdoor access provision and helps to support wider national, regional and local policy objectives on health, recreation, education, economic development, social inclusion, community development, sustainable transport and tourism.
Aberdeen's network of core paths benefits both local people and visitors to Aberdeen by providing a framework of routes for recreation and for travel. Core paths also help to manage access in environmentally sensitive areas and assist land management. The core paths network caters for all user types and abilities (e.g. walkers, cyclists, horse-riders, canoeists) but not every core path has to be suitable for use by all. The core paths are made up of many types of path, ranging from natural ground to high specification constructed paths. You can find out more about each of the paths in the document below:
Download the full Core Paths Plan:
Core paths updates
Core Path 70 – Lover’s Walk on River Dee at Peterculter.
This path will be closed from Monday 10 to Friday 16 May inclusive whilst path works are being undertaken. Please use the Deeside Way as a diversion during the works.
- Area Map - Blackburn (page 13)
- Area Map - Kirkhill (page 14)
- Area Map - Dyce (page 15)
- Area Map - Middleton Park (page 16)
- Area Map - Murcar (page 17)
- Area Map - Clinterty (page19)
- Area Map - Brimmond Hill (page 20)
- Area Map - Bucksburn (page 21)
- Area Map - Bridge of Don, Stockethill (page 22)
- Area Map - Balgownie, Seaton (page 23)
- Area Map - Garlogie (page 24)
- Area Map - Wester Ord (page 25)
- Area Map - Blacktop (page 26)
- Area Map - Hazlehead, Cults (page 27)
- Area Map - Rubislaw, Kincorth (page 28)
- Area Map - Footdee, Tullos (page 29)
- Area Map - Forest of Drum (page 30)
- Area Map - Peterculter West (page 31)
- Area Map - Milltimber (page 32)
- Area Map - Bieldside (page 33)
- Area Map - Loirston (page 34)
- Area Map - Cove (page 35)
Strategic Place Planning
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 4
Ground Floor North
Aberdeen AB10 1AB
01224 522014 or 01224 523316