Apply for a school clothing grant

We can, in some circumstances, provide a grant towards the costs of school clothing and footwear if you receive certain benefits.

The current grant is £120 for primary school pupils and £150 for secondary school pupils. For pupils of statutory school age the grant is paid to parents; for pupils over statutory school age the grant is paid to the student.

You can apply for a school clothing grant if you or your family receive any of these benefits:

  • Income Support 
  • Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC), but not Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £16,105
  • Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit and your annual income is under £7,500
  • Universal Credit, and your monthly earned income is not more than £625
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

You can only apply for children attending school or about to enter Primary 1. If you are an eligible student who receives an Education Maintenance Allowance you can apply for a school clothing grant for yourself. Applications for session 2021/2022 can be made from 1 April 2021.

You can apply for a school clothing grant online. Before you apply online, you will need to set up an account. This is so you can track the progress of your application.

For more information, please see the frequently asked questions below.

Frequently asked questions

You can apply for a school clothing grant once per child in any financial year i.e. between 1 April and 31 March.

The grant will be paid into a bank account which accepts BACS payments.

When applying for the clothing grant you will need to show proof of benefit received as stated in the application.

You may also be eligible for free school meals and free school transport. Students staying on at secondary school for 5th and 6th year can apply for an Education Maintenance Allowance. The Scottish Government offer a Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods including the School Age Payment, for further information and to apply please visit the Scottish Government website.

Please email 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.