We can, in some circumstances, provide a grant towards the costs of school clothing and footwear if you receive certain benefits.
The current grant is £100 for both primary school and secondary school pupils. For pupils of statutory school age the grant is paid to parents; for pupils over statutory school age the grant is paid to the student.
You can apply for a school clothing grant if you or your family receive any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA)
- Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Child Tax Credit (CTC), but not Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £16,105
- Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit and your annual income is under £7,330
- Universal Credit, and your monthly earned income is not more than £610
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction
You can only apply for children attending school or about to enter Primary 1. If you are an eligible student who receives an Education Maintenance Allowance you can apply for a school clothing grant for yourself. Applications for session 2021/2022 can be made from 1 April 2021.
You can apply for a school clothing grant online. Before you apply online, you will need to set up an account. This is so you can track the progress of your application.
For more information, please see the frequently asked questions below.