Council Tax changes

The Scottish Parliament introduced legislation to change Council Tax from April 2017.

Council Tax is applied across a range of bands from A to H, with all bands having a relationship with band D, known as the multiplier. The national legislation has changed the council tax multipliers for properties in Bands E to H from 1 April 2017. There is no local discretion to change these multipliers.

The table below shows the current and revised multipliers for Band E to H and the percentage increase in charge. The table also shows what your current council tax is with the new multipliers applied. Scottish Water charges for water and wastewater will continue to be charged using the current multiplier and are excluded from this increase.

Band Current multiplier Revised multiplier: 1 April 2017 2016/17 Council Tax (current) 2016/17 Council Tax (with new multipliers applied) Percentage change
E 1.22 1.31 £1503.81 £1616.60 7.5%
F 1.44 1.63 £1777.23 £1999.38 12.5%
G 1.67 1.96 £2050.65 £2409.51 17.5%
H 2 2.45 £2460.78 £3014.46 22.5%

Low income household relief

Single person households with net income of up to £16,750 and all other households with net income of up to £25,000 and less than £16,000 in savings are eligible to apply for a full relief from the increased charge through the council tax reduction scheme.

Download the application form or request a copy:

  • E-mail: - Please remember to provide your address and full name.
  • Telephone our Customer Service Section on 03000 200 292 (lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm).
  • Visit one of our council offices and speak to a member of staff who deals with Council Tax Reduction.

The above offices are open 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. 

Do not delay sending the application form in. Any delay may result in less relief being awarded to you.

If you are a low income household and already receive Council Tax Reduction then you do not need to re-apply. The 2017/18 Council Tax annual demand notice will include any reduction you are entitled to.

See information on Data Protection

Do you need to talk about Council Tax or Housing Benefits?

Contact us

Would you like to give feedback about the new website?