Level 4 restrictions - Frequently Asked Questions

On Monday November 2 a new five-tier system of restrictions was introduced across each of Scotland's local authority areas. Levels (0-4) are based on the prevalence of the virus. This is reviewed regularly.

Aberdeen is in Level 4 along with the rest of mainland Scotland.

The Scottish Government today (January 19, 2021) announced tougher restrictions for Level 4 as part of the ongoing response to COVID-19 will remain in place until at least mid-February, with a review taking place 2 February 2021. 

Aberdeen City Council aims to revise its COVID-19 web pages as quickly as possible in response to ongoing government reviews and updates.

More frequently asked questions on local coronavirus restrictions can be found in the links below 

The school term restart date has been amended.  

From 5 January to mid-February, schools can only open to in-person learning for children of key workers and vulnerable children, with remote learning for all other children and young people from 11 January to mid-February. This will be reviewed 2 February 2021.

More information is available from the Scottish Government. The Council will be sharing local updates in due course.

More information on Aberdeen schools.

No. We are not advising people to start shielding again. It is important to strictly follow the protection level guidance for your area and maintain regular hand washing, physical distancing and face coverings. 

As you are in the highest protection level we are advising you to take some extra precautions to ensure your safety.  This includes:

  • Minimise contact with people outside your own household if you can
  • You should not take public transport
  • Strictly follow the guidelines when shopping and limiting the number of times you go to a shop
  • Shop at quieter times
  • The Chief Medical Officer will issue a fit note. 
  • Children on the shielding list should not attend school or college in person

Further information on Shielding can be found here 

Yes, childminders can continue to operate.   

For more information please contact Aberdeen City Council or the Care Inspectorate. They can be contacted via: 
Aberdeen City Council - if you have additional enquiries relating to childminding or your childminding business please contact Carol Main, Early Years Locality Lead, CarMain@aberdeencity.gov.uk 

Care Inspectorate - there is a range of information on the website including frequently asked questions and other guidance, please check the website or if you have other enquiries please contact enquiries@careinspectorate.gov.scot 

Takeaways can still operate as normal, provided food and drink is sold for consumption off the premises.

For more information see our visiting shops and hospitality pages.

Tradespeople should only go into a house in a level 4 area to carry out or deliver essential work or services, for example: to carry out utility safety checks, repairs, maintenance and installations, any repairs and maintenance that would otherwise threaten the household’s health and safety, to deliver, install or repair key household furniture and appliances such as washing machines, fridges and cookers or to support a home move, for example furniture removal.

For more information visit our information for businesses page.

No, close contact services and mobile close contact service providers must not operate in Level 4

For more information visit our information for businesses page.

No, driving lessons, including motorcycle lessons, must not be held unless all occupants of the vehicle or vehicles are from the same household.

For more information visit our information for businesses page.

You can go into another household to provide care and support for a vulnerable person. This can include providing emotional support for someone whose wellbeing is at risk, including for those who are isolated because of disability or a caring situation.

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

You can meet people from other households outdoors in a private garden or in a public place such as a private garden or park. The maximum number of people who can meet outdoors is 2 which can be from up to 2 separate households.

Children under the age of 12 from these households do not count towards the total number of people counted in a gathering. Children under 12 do not need to maintain physical distance from others. This is to allow children under 12 to play with their friends outside.

Where an individual household includes more than 6 people, they can continue to meet outside as a household even if the total number of people exceeds 6.

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

If you use someone else’s toilet – avoid touching surfaces with your hands as much as possible, wipe any surfaces that you do touch with antibacterial wipes, wash your hands thoroughly, dry your hands with a freshly laundered towel or a paper towel, which you should dispose of in a closed bin.

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

There are no plans to change the current restrictions on numbers at the crematorium. This remains at 20 people. The reception at Aberdeen Crematorium is to be closed but cremations and services are to continue under the current COVID-19 restrictions.  

For more information visit our births, deaths and ceremonies page.

An extended household group means that two households are treated as being one. They can visit each other and stay over, without physical distancing. It also means that you can consider providing informal childcare within your household group.  

This applies to:  

  • adults who live alone  
  • adults who live only with children under 18  
  • non-cohabiting couples and any children living with them 

You can choose to form a household group with any other household. They do not need to be shielding. You should consider if it is right for you and your circumstances, and if so which household to join.  

The person who is shielding can be in either household. They do not need to be the person living alone. The person who is shielding can be an adult, young person or child. Examples include:  

  • a 4-person household and a grandparent living alone who is not shielding  
  • a non-cohabiting couple, who both live with their parents  

You should only form an extended household group with one other household. Everyone should try to maintain physical distancing from anyone outwith their household group.  

All adults living in both households need to agree and follow this guidance. We encourage you to discuss this with the rest of your household. This is an important decision that should be properly discussed and agreed beforehand.  

The arrangement can end at any time. Once stopped, you should not form a new household group with another household.  

All members of a household group must self-isolate if someone develops COVID-19 symptoms.  

If you are shielding and develop symptoms, call 111 immediately. Symptoms include:  

  • a new continuous cough  
  • a high temperature (above 37.8 °C)  
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste 

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

Tourists should not travel into, or out off, a Level 4 area for holidays or visits. Exceptions for essential travel includes those who must travel for work, education, health, participate in or facilitate shared parenting or for those attending weddings or funerals which requires an overnight stay. 

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

If you live in a Level 4 local authority area you should:

  • you must, by law, remain within that area unless you have an essential journey (more information on essential journey is available on the

Scottish Government website Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance on travel and transport - gov.scot (www.gov.scot) 

  • you should also keep journeys within the area to an absolute minimum
  • if you have to travel for essential purposes, you should follow the guidance on travelling safely

If you are in the shielding group the Scottish Government advise that you should not use public transport in level 4 area. 

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

All holiday accommodation is closed to tourism. Hotels, B&Bs and self-catering can remain open for essential customers only. In line with Competition and Markets Authority guidance, a full refund should be offered to customers who booked holiday homes, but could not stay in them due to lockdown restrictions.

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

All under 18 organised sports and activities are permitted, provided appropriate safety measures are followed. Organised outdoor non-contact sports, personal training and coaching are permitted, provided appropriate safety measures are followed. Outdoor contact sports are not permitted, except for professional sport.

Due to the current level 4 restrictions we unable to accept any new bookings for the hire of our school facilities or playing fields, until further notice.

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

Indoor sports facilities, including swimming pools are closed.

For more information visit our latest coronavirus restrictions - level 4 page.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.