Housing FAQs

We are continuing to provide most of our housing services, however we are restricting face-to-face engagement as far as reasonably possible. If you require assistance, please visit our housing pages or telephone your local housing office on 03000 200 292

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, as usual you should contact our Homelessness helpline - 0800 917 6379 (24 hours). Further advice is available about homelessness.

We would encourage you to pay your rent by Direct Debit where possible. This can be done by contacting your local housing office on 03000 200 292 or printing off the form

You can also pay on-line.

The Council also operates an automated telephone payment line which accepts debit & credit card payments – Telephone 01224-346996

If these methods aren’t suitable then please contact your local housing office for advice.

Please contact your local housing office immediately on 03000 200 292 for support and advice. We understand the financial difficulties for many people right now and we will help you.

We will help advise on benefits.  

Find out more about benefits and the support available.

We can agree a suitable timescale that your application for housing will not be considered for offers of accommodation. To discuss this further, please call us on 03000 200 292, Aberdeen City Council tenants should discuss with their local housing office and for non-tenants, please discuss with the Housing Advice team.

Property schedules or viewings will be provided for the property that you have been offered. Lease signing appointments are still being carried out in Marischal College while ensuring that we follow Government guidelines to take the necessary precautions to ensure we are protecting our staff and the public.

Currently we will only be doing emergency repairs. If you require an emergency repair at any time of the day or night:

  • Phone 03000 200 292

An emergency repair is required for issues which threaten the tenant’s (or someone else’s) safety or have the potential to cause significant damage to the fabric of the building, such as a gas leak or severe water leak, total failure of a central heating system, structural faults to roofs or walls. Works to make property secure or prevent further damage, such as broken window glass, burst pipes, loss of water, gas or electric supply. 

You may still report repair however non-emergency repairs will not be scheduled meantime. Find out more information about repairs.

Advice for Private Rented Sector tenants and people with mortgages who are struggling to meet housing costs is available - find out more on the Shelter Scotland website.

This is set to resume in line with government guidance for safe working practices.

Applications are still being processed. There may be delays where physical surveys and inspections of properties are required. 

Applications are still being process although there may be delays should physical inspections of properties are required. 

As a landlord, Aberdeen City Council still has a legal obligation to complete Gas Safety Checks within 12 months of the previous check. However, if you receive a letter for access and have a valid reason for not allowing access the Gas Maintenance Contractor should be contacted to make them aware. E.g. Shielding due to age/medical conditions. The Gas Maintenance Contractor has all required PPE to access properties to ensure the safety of ACC tenants and Engineers.

Please contact your Housing Officer to agree a plan to address your arrears and to ensure you are receiving all the income and help you are eligible for. 

Please speak to your Housing Officer who can advise on your options to get help to pay your rent.

The Council is awaiting the Scottish Court Service to reopen these cases. As soon as we hear about your case calling, we will be in contact. Advice in the meantime is to continue to make regular payments to cover your rent and arrears.

Would you like to give feedback about the website?