Covid-19 – Information from Trading Standards and Environmental Health
Throughout the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, our priority is to protect public health, while providing support and advice to businesses across Aberdeen City.
The UK Government and the Scottish Government have agreed on regulations and emergency restrictions. The legislation that has been passed in Scotland is the Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2020.
Our Trading Standards Officers and Environmental Health Officers are striving to make sure that local businesses are complying with legal requirements contained in Regulations 3 and 4. These requirements relate to the closure of certain business premises and to the social distancing measures that should be put in place at business premises which can currently remain open.
Social Distancing for Business
What are the physical distancing measures retail businesses are required to put in place?
All businesses and services must ‘take all reasonable measures’ to ensure:
- 2 metre is maintained between any persons on the premises (except for members of the same household or persons and their carers).
- They only admit people in sufficiently small numbers to make the 2 metre distance possible.
- That in any queue to enter the premises the 2 metre distance is maintained.
If you are an Aberdeen City business and would like advice regarding whether you can continue to operate, please email the Environmental Health or Trading Standards teams at the following email address:
Read the latest Scottish Government guidance for retail businesses in the form of an operational checklist.
If you have concerns about a business in Aberdeen that is not complying with the closure requirements or social distancing and want to report that, or if you are an Aberdeen City resident who would like further information about the business closure or business social distancing requirements in the Regulations, please email us at:
We will investigate your concerns and where necessary deal with the business using powers contained in The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2020.
If you have any concerns about people gathering in public, please contact Police Scotland on 101.
Read the latest Scottish Government guidance for customers of retail premises.
Frequently asked questions
- Read more about which businesses can operate (for consumers and business)
- Read more about social distancing and your business
- Read more about trading practices and product safety (for consumers and business)
- Read more about food products, delivery, and production for your business
- Read more about pets and livestock (for consumers and business)
For the latest news from Aberdeen Trading Standards visit the Trading Standards Twitter page.
Would you like to give feedback about the website?