Housing Volunteers – What do we do?
The Tenant and Resident Participation groups within Aberdeen City Council have won many awards and are used as a benchmark by others in the industry. We have a number of Tenant & Resident Groups across the city who all do a fantastic job in their community, sheltered housing or multi storey – all volunteers who care about where they live and want to work together with the Council and our partners.
- Tenant & Resident Forum – looks at changes and committee reports dealing with issues that affect tenants.
- Citywide Multi Storey Group- for any multi storey tenants and/or residents who want to work with the Council to improve Multi Storey living.
- Citywide Sheltered Housing Group- for all sheltered housing tenants who want to take a more strategic look at the service.
- Communication & Events Group – works with the Council to produce publications such as Newsbite and organises and attends various events throughout the city.
- Housing Performance & Budget Group – looks at monthly performance of the housing service and the facts and figures.
- Housing Service Review Group -works with the Council to carry out physical reviews of the services all Council tenants receive. They highlight what is working and what is not and makes recommendations of what we could be doing better. They have reviewed services such as Housing Repairs, Community Safety, Housing Management and Feedback in the Council. The group have travelled all over Scotland to learn and hosted other landlords and their tenants in Aberdeen. The group has also presented at National Tenant Participation Conferences to promote the work they do.
A number of our citywide groups have won various national tenant participation awards and in the last few years we have had five finalists in the Scottish Tenant of the Year competition – of the five, three won the prestigious award and two were runners up.
We want to say a massive thank you to all our tenants and residents for giving up their time to achieve this level of success – they are our housing volunteers!
If you want to find out more about tenant participation how you can get involved please email Carol Hannaford firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or visit our Tenant Participation webpage.