Petroleum licensing

The keeping of petrol must be in accordance with the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 (PCR).

Petroleum Storage Certificates are issued for the workplace premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed, with no reference to person or company, the Certificates do not have an expiry date and remain in force until either prescribed material changes take place or the site ceases to operate for more than 12 months.

The Keeper of the fuel must pay an annual fee set by the Health and Safety Fees Regulations. The fee is calculated according to the maximum litreage of petrol stored at the site. The Keeper can choose to pay for up to ten years in advance. Details of the fees can be obtained using the contact details below.

The Regulations stipulate that:

  • no one under the age of 16 can operate a dispenser on a dispensing premises; and
  • the keeper of the petrol cannot supply or allow the supply of petrol to a person under the age of 16.

Conditions are not attached to the Petroleum Storage Certificate, but the site operator is required to comply with the Dangerous Substances and Explosives Atmospheres Regulations 2002 and any other relevant Health and Safety legislation.

If you wish to apply for a new Petroleum Storage Certificate you will need tocomplete and return an application form to the below address at least 28 days before it is required but no more than to six months in advance, along with:

  • A location plan
  • a drawing of the proposed layout of the dispensing premises;
  • a drawing of the proposed containment system, including storage tanks and pipe work; and
  • a drawing of the proposed drainage system for petrol.

Drawings submitted should be in hardcopy format with a scale of 1:100.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 set out in detail the requirements for storing petrol at home, clubs, associations etc. – the table below summarises the key elements.

Storing up to 30 Litres Storing more than 30 Litres and up to 275 liters
No requirement to inform this Authority. Notify this Authority in writing, providing name and address of the occupier and the storage place
Petrol can be stored in:
  • suitable portable containers;
  • one demountable fuel tank;
  • a combination of the above as long as no more than 30 litres is kept.
Petrol can be stored in:
  • suitable portable containers;
  • one demountable fuel tank;
  • a combination of the above as long as no more than 275 litres is kept
Common storage requirements for these amounts
  • Petrol is not stored in living accommodation;
  • Petrol is not dispensed* at the storage place;
  • If the storage place is not in the open air, it has a direct exit to the open air and is ventilated to it;
  • All reasonable precautions are taken in the storage place to prevent any sources of ignition or heat that would be liable to ignite petrol or its vapour;
  • Petrol is not used in the storage place other than:
  1. in the fuel tank of any internal combustion engine;
  2. in quantities (not exceeding 150 millilitres at any one time), for cleaning or as a solvent for repair purposes
*Dispensing means manual or electrical pumping of petrol from a storage tank


If you intend to store over 275 litres, you must apply for, pay the statutory fee and obtain a licence from this Authority. The licence will specify your name and where the petrol is to be kept. It can be granted for up to three years and is not transferrable. Conditions may be attached to the licence regarding the safe storage.

The Environmental Health & Trading Standards Service hold historical records of tanks previously licensed for the storage of petroleum spirit. Information regarding specific premises and whether tanks were present and the methods used for making them safe from the danger of fire or explosion can be disclosed on written request. The disclosure is subject to payment of a reasonable fee.

Please contact Trading Standards in the first instance.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.