For advice on animal welfare or to submit an applicationContact us
Apply for a pet shop licence
You must have a licence to operate a pet shop, including selling animals over the internet.
An application will be considered on:
- Number of animals to be kept.
- Types of animals to be kept.
- That mammals are not sold too young.
- Suitability of accommodation, food and drink.
- Steps taken to prevent spread of disease.
- Adequate fire and emergency provisions.
The premises will be inspected by a Council officer and vet before a licence is granted.
A fee of £186 will be charged on submission of an application. You will need a credit or debit card available to make payment.
There will be an additional cost to cover vet fees. This will not be payable on submission of the application, but at a later date once a site visit is conducted.
You must not be disqualified from any of the following:
- Keeping a pet shop.
- Having custody of animals.
You may require planning permission.
Would you like to give feedback about the website?