Apply for a dog breeding licence
A licence is needed to operate a business of breeding dogs for the propose of selling the animals on. A breeding establishment means any premises where a bitch or bitches give birth to five or more litters in any 12 month period.
An application will be considered on:
- Number of animals in the premises.
- Number, size and construction of accommodation in the premises.
- Types of animals intended to be kept in the premises.
- Suitability of food and drink.
- Steps taken to prevent spread of disease.
- Adequate fire and emergency provisions.
- Animals are adequately exercised when being transported to or from the establishment.
The premises may be inspected by an approved officer and vet before a licence is granted.
A fee of £155 will be charged on submission of an application. You will need a credit or debit card available to make payment.
There will be an additional cost to cover vet fees. This will not be payable on submission of the application, but at a later date once a site visit is conducted.
You must not be disqualified from any of the following:
- Keeping a breeding establishment.
- Having custody of animals.
You may require planning permission.
Would you like to give feedback about the website?