The Business and Skills service provides a range of support and advice for local businesses from those starting out to social enterprises and successful international organisations.
The Young Person's Guarantee (YPG)
Officially launched on 5th November 2020, The Young Person’s Guarantee (YPG) is a commitment to Scotland’s young people. The Guarantee is not a new programme, but it provides additional investment to build on successful activity happening locally and nationally. The Youth Guarantee is the over-arching pledge that will sit above all programmes for young people, and many organisations, including Local Authorities, will play their part in helping to make it a reality.
The Guarantee is about connecting young people to appropriate opportunities. All unemployed 16 – 24 year olds in Scotland will be given the opportunity to access support to help them into work, to go to university or college, to take up an apprenticeship, take part in training or work experience, or take part in a formal volunteering programme.
More information can be found here.
Enquiries can be sent to: ABZWorks@aberdeencity.gov.uk
Skills and employment
Aberdeen City Council's Employability, Skills and Community Enterprise service supports individuals, local businesses, and community based enterprises to create the conditions for sustainable economic growth by supporting and retaining a diverse range of skilled jobs and high value businesses in the city. The team works in three key areas: employability, skills and community enterprise.
For further information, please contact Angela Taylor, Employability Lead at email@example.com
We regularly host lunchtime sessions to cover topical subjects which support businesses to realise their full potential by embracing emerging opportunities. These free seminars cover a diverse range of topics to support the local economy to flourish. You can see the presentations from these seminars in the Related documents section below. Please contact Alison Simpson on firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or if you are interested in hosting a session.
Land and property
Find information on property for sale or lease and asset management from Property Services. For general enquiries about land and property for business, please contact Andrew Stephen at email@example.com
Business start up
Aberdeen City Council's Business Start-Up support is delivered on behalf of Elevator through Business Gateway.
For all business start-up enquiries, please visit Business Gateway for more details or call them on 01224 946539 to make an appointment with a Business Adviser.
Aberdeen City Council is a member of Business Loans Scotland, a consortium of Scotland's 32 local authorities, offering loan finance to new and growing small and medium sized businesses (SMEs).
- Business Loans Scotland offers gap funding up to a maximum of £100,000 to SMEs where public sector funding (including Business Loans Scotland's contribution), would not exceed 50 percent of the total funding package.
- Loans are available to all eligible businesses who meet the set criteria whilst also demonstrating their commercial viability and who have experienced difficulty in raising all of the required funding from the usual sources.
- Businesses from a range of sectors (including manufacturing, construction, transport and distribution, tourism and tourism infrastructure and software), are eligible to apply for support and loans may be used for working capital, purchase of plant and equipment and for the purchase of business property.
- Typically the interest rate will be 6 percent however this may be higher depending upon the level of risk. For start-up businesses which evidence higher risks in terms of viability and /or collateral the rate applied may be higher.
- The loan conditions are standard for all businesses. Security will be taken where appropriate. The maximum repayment period is 5 years and capital holidays up to 3 months may be considered.
- Ends December 2018
Please refer to Business Loans Scotland for further information or contact Andrew Stephen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Aberdeen City Council International Trade team support the Aberdeen business community by maintaining a portfolio of close business relationships with government, economic development agencies and industry bodies. The team is located in Marischal College and is here to help you find the advice and information you need to get your business involved in international trade activities or exploit further international trade opportunities for those already exporting. Through partnerships with organisations such as United Kingdom Department for International Trade (DIT) and Scottish Development International (SDI) the International Trade team can provide assistance to businesses which includes:
- Promotion of overseas business opportunities
- Workshops and courses to prepare companies to undertake international trade
- Overseas missions and learning journeys
- Hosting inward trade missions
- Seminars and trade clinics
- Local export networking opportunities
- Company specific market research
- Published market information
Find out more at International Trade.
Invest Aberdeen is the inward investment hub for Aberdeen City and Shire providing a one-stop point of contact for exploring opportunities for your business in the North East of Scotland. The team is committed to delivering a tailored service to meet your criteria whether it be business support and guidance, providing one point of contact to businesses or supporting property investors and developers seeking to invest in the city region.
This professional, collaborative approach seeks to respond to the needs of investors and businesses alike and facilitates access to a wide range of partners across the city including: Scottish Enterprise, Scottish Development International, Aberdeen & Grampian Chamber of Commerce, property agents and other council departments such as Planning, Economic Development and Business Services.
In attracting and retaining investors to the city, the Invest Aberdeen team seeks to provide a quality service that includes:
- Business development and support
- Investment incentives
- Talented workforce
- Access to partners and networks
- Investment advice
- Marketing support
- Dedicated aftercare
Visit Invest Aberdeen for more information.