How to register a birth

You now have 21 days to decide a name for your baby and register your child's birth at your nearest registrar's office in Scotland.

Our office is situated in Marischal College on Broad Street. There is no need to make an appointment, the office is open Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm. Please allow approximately 20 minutes for the birth registration to be completed.

If the baby's parents are married to each other or are in registered civil partnership, only one parent must attend the office in order to register the birth.

If the parents are not married to each other and are not in registered civil partnership they must both attend the registrar's office in order to have a father/parent named on the birth entry. If the birth is registered solely by the mother, the father/parents details will only be shown if a statutory declaration has been signed in the presence of someone who can administer oaths or if a court has declared that a person is the father/parent of the child.

We need you to bring the slip of paper given to you by the maternity hospital or midwife that shows the baby's details.

It is useful to us if you also bring the following documents with you:

  • If you are married or in registered civil partnership you should bring your marriage or civil partnership certificate. 
  • If possible you and your partner's birth certificates or passports.
  • We will give you an abbreviated certificate showing the baby's name, date and place of birth.  This is free of charge and can be used to send with your child benefit application. 
  • An EC58 form.  This has to be handed in to the GP surgery that your baby will be registered with. 
  • A full birth certificate showing the parent's names can be purchased at a charge of £10.  This is needed for passport applications.

Depending on where you are residing, the Registrar can offer the Tell Us Once service to anyone wishing to register a birth. This service allows the customer to pass additional information to the Registrar, which will be passed on to other council services and government departments, such as the Department for Work and Pensions, Jobcentre Plus, library services, child benefit and Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit.

Please note: In order for the Registrar to notify the Child Benefit, a completed child benefit form is required at the time of registration.

Would you like to give feedback about the website?