Hazardous waste and asbestos

There are many types of hazardous waste which you can dispose of at Recycling Centres

Please note you should never dispose of chemicals down your drain or in your general waste bin.


Aberdeen City Council currently does not provide an uplift or disposal service for any sort of asbestos waste. Asbestos is classed as hazardous waste and cannot be disposed of with your normal household or garden waste. All asbestos waste must be disposed of at a facility licenced to accept it.

For details of a licenced contractor who can uplift and dispose of asbestos in your area please contact the

Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) at:
Inverdee House
Baxter Street
AB11 9QA 

Please note that SEPA can only advise on licenced contractors and cannot arrange the uplift and dispose of asbestos.
You can also search for licenced contractors in your area in the Yellow Pages.

Syringes and hypodermic needles

Used syringes should not be put directly into your general waste bin. All used needles, empty syringes, empty insulin cartridges and lancets must be put in a sharps bin. Sharps bins are plastic containers designed for the safe disposal of needles and sharps. The NHS website has more information on how to dispose of needles and sharps. Aberdeen City Council does not provide a collection for used syringes. If you find a needle in a public space you can report this to the Environmental Service.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.