Contact the Waste and Recycling teamContact us
Food and garden waste recycling bin
Your food and garden waste bin must be out for collection by 7am on your scheduled day.
Your brown wheelie bin is for recycling waste from the garden, such as grass cuttings, weeds and leaves, and food waste from the home.
- All waste must fit in the bin with the lid closed.
- No excess waste can be left on the street next to the bin.
- Garden waste should be put into the bin loose.
- Food waste can be loose, in kitchen caddy liners or wrapped in newspaper or a paper bag.
- Remember to remove the bin from the kerbside as soon as is practical following collection.
- If you are unable to put your bin out yourself, we may be able to offer assisted collections.
What you can recycle
- All cooked and uncooked food waste
- Dairy and eggshells
- Meat, fish and bones
- Fruit and vegetables
- Bread, cakes and pastries
- Rice and pasta
- Tea bags
- Coffee grounds
- Solid fats such as butter or lard
- Leftovers from preparing food
- Leftovers from meals
- Out of date food left in fridge or cupboards
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge trimmings
- Small branches, bark and twigs
- Weeds but not Ragwort or Japanese Knotweed
What you can't recycle
Please do not put any of the following items in your food and garden waste bin:
- Pet food
- Household waste
- Food packaging
- Plastic bags or black bags
- Oils or liquids
- Large branches
- Fence panels, posts or treated wood such as trellises
- Flower pots, seed trays or plastic plant labels
You can have up to two food and garden bins for your household. There is a £35 delivery charge for an additional bin. You can have a kitchen caddy and liners to use inside your house for collecting food waste. You can collect food caddy liners from various locations throughout the city or request free delivery of a caddy or liners using our online form.
You can collect liners from:
- Marischal College Customer Service Centre
- Kincorth Customer Access Point
- Mastrick Customer Access Point
- Woodside Customer Access Point
- Your local library
- Altens East Recycling, Resource and Recovery Facility
- Most community centres and learning centres
Please do not leave any extra waste or large items at the side of the bin because we will not be able to collect them. If you have excess waste or a large item that will not fit in the bin, you can:
Would you like to give feedback about the website?