Fortnightly collections of mixed recycling and brown bins
The fortnightly collection of household mixed recycling bins and brown bin collections (for garden waste and food waste) has restarted from Monday 3 August 2020.
Collection days will remain the same and fortnightly collection calendars are available to view and download.
Whilst the collections are returning to the normal frequency, please be aware that our crews are still operating differently due to Covid in order to continue to follow measures for reducing the spread of coronavirus. Collection routes may be completed slower than planned in the first few days and we thank residents for their patience during this time. If your street was missed on your collection day please leave your bin out until the next day.
In March 2020 Councillors agreed a £30 charge for the collection of brown bins containing garden waste for the period from 1 September 2020 to 31 August 2021. New permits are available to buy online from Wednesday 15 July 2020. Garden Waste permit applications can only be made online. No cash or cheques are accepted.
Please note that there is no charge for using your brown bin for food waste only and your brown bin collection day will not change.
Your garden waste collection permit:
- Is valid from 1 September 2020 until 31 August 2021.
- Costs £30 regardless of when in the year it is purchased.
- Will have your address on it.
- Cannot be transferred to another property.
- Will not be refunded if you move house.
Once payment is received, your permit will be posted to your home within 21 days of ordering. You should order your permit by 10 August 2020 to ensure it arrives in time for 1 September 2020.
When you receive your permit, you should attach it to your bin before putting it out for collection. Please follow the instructions on the reverse of the permit which show you how and where to attach it to your bin. The permit is durable, tamper proof and will have your address on it.
Do not stick your new permit on top of last year’s as it will not stick. The new permit must stick directly to the surface of your brown bin.
For more information read our Garden waste collection and permit FAQs.
Please update or try a different browser if you are unable to complete the payment for your permit.
Brown bin collections
Your brown bin must be out for collection by 7am on your scheduled day.
- All waste must fit in the bin with the lid closed.
- No excess waste can be left on the street next to the bin.
- Food waste can be loose, in kitchen caddy liners or wrapped in newspaper or a paper bag.
- Remember to move the bin from the kerbside as soon as possible following collection.
- If you are unable to put your bin out yourself, we may be able to offer assisted collections.
What you can recycle
Please remove food from all packaging before you recycle it:
- All cooked and uncooked food waste
- Dairy and eggshells
- Meat, fish and bones
- Fruit and vegetables
- Bread, cakes and pastries
- Rice and pasta
- Tea bags
- Coffee grounds
- Solid fats such as butter or lard
- Leftovers from preparing food
- Leftovers from meals
- Out of date food
You can even put kitchen roll that has been used to wipe up spills in your caddy. Food contaminated cardboard, such as pizza boxes, can also be put into your food recycling bin as it will break down in the composting process.
Remember, you must pay the £30 subscription fee for this service
- Flowers including Rhododendrons
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge trimmings
- Small branches, bark and twigs
- Weeds but not Ragwort or Japanese Knotweed
What you can't recycle (even with a permit)
Please do not put any of the following items in your brown bin:
- Himalayan Balsam
- Giant hogweed
- Pet food
- Household waste
- Food packaging
- Plastic bags or black bags
- Oils or liquids
- Large branches
- Fence panels, posts or treated wood such as trellises
- Flower pots, seed trays or plastic plant labels
Please do not leave any extra waste or large items at the side of the bin because we will not be able to collect them. If you have excess waste or a large item that will not fit in the bin, you can: