Please note that services have changed in response to COVID-19. Please read our FAQs
From 1 September 2019, brown bins containing garden waste will only be emptied if they display a valid garden waste permit. The current cost of a permit is £30.
You can purchase a permit for the current year until Monday 13 July 2020.
There is no charge for using your brown bin for food waste only and your brown bin collection day will not change.
Your garden waste collection permit:
- Is valid from 1 September 2019 until 31 August 2020.
- Costs £30 regardless of when in the year it is purchased.
- Will have your address on it.
- Cannot be transferred to another property.
- Will not be refunded if you move house.
When you receive your permit, you should attach it to your bin before putting it out for collection. Please follow the instructions on the reverse of the permit which show you how and where to attach it to your bin. The permit is durable, tamper proof and will have your address on it.
This information constitutes formal notice under Section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 meaning that garden waste may not be placed in the brown bin without the appropriate permit.
What you can recycle in your brown bin
From 1 September, you can recycle the following if you subscribe to the garden waste collection service:
- Food waste
- Garden waste
- Flowers including Rhododendrons
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge trimmings
- Small branches, bark and twigs
- Weeds but not Ragwort or Japanese Knotweed
What you can't recycle in your brown bin even with a permit
- Himalayan Balsam
- Giant hogweed
- Pet food
- Household waste
- Food packaging
- Plastic bags or black bags
- Oils or liquids
- Large branches
- Fence panels, posts or treated wood such as trellises
- Flower pots, seed trays or plastic plant labels
Help to apply
Garden Waste permit applications can only be made online. If you know someone who needs help applying you can do this on their behalf, with their permission.
If you require dedicated support from us to apply, we can offer a face to face appointment where someone will be there to guide you through the online form. Appointments take place at our Customer Service Centre, Marischal College, Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm. You can book one of these appointments by phoning our Customer Contact Centre on 03000 200 292.