Find out about benefits and support
Our Benefits and Money Advice team can provide a quick, free benefits check. Call us on 03000 200292.
(select option 3 for council tax then 4 for benefits and advice)
Alternatively the following external websites offer benefits calculators:
- Carers Allowance: claim Carers Allowance online or phone 0800 7310297
Children and families
- Child Benefit: claim Child Benefit online or phone 0300 2003100
- Tax Credits: calculate entitlement to tax credits online, then phone 0345 3003900
- Disability Living Allowance for children: claim DLA online, to apply call 0800 882200, enquiries call 0800 1214600
- Income Support: phone 0800 0556688
- Free school meals: If you would like to apply for free school meals please download and complete the form
- School clothing grant: If you would like to apply for a school clothing grant please download and complete the form
- Visit our crisis information page
- Scottish Welfare Fund: visit Scottish Welfare Fund, phone 0800 0304713, or apply for the Scottish Welfare fund online.
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP): applications call 0800 917 2222, enquiries call 0800 1214433
- Employment Support Allowance (ESA): claim ESA online, to apply call 0800 0556688, enquiries call 0800 1690310
- Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA): request an application from your school. More information about Education Maintenance Allowances.
- Pension advice is available from the Money Advice Service
- State pensions: online calculator, claim pensions online, download application, or phone 0800 7317898
- Pension Credit: call 0800 991234
- Attendance Allowance (disabilities): download application form or phone 0800 7310122
Housing and council tax
- Council Tax reduction
- Housing Benefit
- Local Housing Allowance
- Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)
- Universal Credit: visit our information page about Universal Credit
- Universal Credit enquiries: call 0800 3289344
- Jobseekers Allowance (JSA): claim JSA online, to apply call 0800 0556688, enquiries call 0800 1690310
- Income Support: call 0800 0556688
- Tax Credits: calculate tax credit entitlement online, then phone 0345 3003900
Would you like to give feedback about the website?