H2 Aberdeen is an initiative working to bring about a hydrogen economy in the Aberdeen City Region. It will help reinforce the area's position as an energy city, now and in the future. Aberdeen has two hydrogen refuelling stations provide 350 bar and 700 bar refuelling for a fleet of buses, cars, HGVs, and vans. Over the lifetime of H2 Aberdeen the city has hosted 85 hydrogen vehicles and expects to host many more.
Over the past five years, Aberdeen has established itself as a centre of excellence for hydrogen and fuel cell technologies. A wide range of initiatives have been implemented, including:
- The initial deployment in March 2015 of ten hydrogen fuel-cell buses (one of the largest fleets in Europe at the time).
- The World’s first hydrogen double decker buses, with a fleet of 15 delivered between 2020 and 2022.
- The introduction of both light (e.g. cars and vans) and heavy fuel-cell vehicles (e.g. road sweepers, buses and waste trucks) into council fleets and a local car sharing club.
- Delivery of a megawatt-scale stationary fuel-cell as part of the city’s recent conference centre development.
- The delivery and operation of two public hydrogen refuelling stations operating since 2015.
For Further Information:
YouTube: H2 Aberdeen Playlist