Be Part of the Picture!
"We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity, by rejuvenating and improving three much-loved buildings to create a world-class cultural centre, celebrating art and music at the heart of civic life."
Art Gallery & Museums Manager
In 1885 Aberdeen Art Gallery was founded by visionary individuals who gave their time, money and works of art for the benefit of the city.
In 1925 the Cowdray Hall was added, together with the Remembrance Hall, generously supported by public subscription. These much-loved buildings were no longer fit for purpose and our once-in-a-lifetime redevelopment project has created a world-class visitor attraction celebrating the inspiring power of art and music for everyone.
This world-class cultural complex in the heart of the city will be a must-visit destination for residents and tourists. With the aim of attracting over 250,000 visits a year, the project has:
- Increased number of gallery spaces from 11 to 21, to showcase the breadth of Aberdeen's unique collection
- Created a stunning new rooftop gallery space, with roof terraces opening up beautiful city vistas
- Restored the Gallery building, making it easier to navigate and enjoy
- Transformed the Cowdray Hall into a modern concert venue, while retaining its superb acoustic quality
- Provided two new dedicated learning suites for schools and lifelong learners