Frequently Asked Question

What should I do if my rates charge is incorrect?

If you think the amount on your rates bill is incorrect, you should contact the Business Rates Team on 01224 346146 as soon as possible. We will discuss how the rates charge has been calculated and advise you if any change is appropriate. We may ask you to confirm information in writing to allow us to make changes.

If you think that rates have been improperly charged, you should write to us within 28 days of receiving your rates bill, stating why you are making the appeal against the rates charge The address to write to is: Revenues and Benefits Manager, Aberdeen City Council, Business Hub 16, Marischal College, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB.