Frequently Asked Question

I've recently become self-employed and don't have business accounts. Can I still apply for housing benefit?

You should maintain business records books. Benefit may be awarded if you can supply evidence of your takings and expenses. Any entitlement will be based on the calculation of income from these records. Your local area office will photocopy your record books. You may be asked to supply these at regular intervals until your business is established and you have been trading for a full year.