Frequently Asked Question

How can I find out how much housing benefit I will get before I move in to a property?

Prior to accepting a tenancy or moving in to a private property we strongly advise that you find out how much housing benefit you would get if you applied. You should ask us for a Pre-tenancy Determination Form. You will be asked to provide details about the property and the prospective landlord will also need to sign the form. We will send the form to the Rent Officer and he will write to you and us stating a maximum rent figure that will be used to calculate your Housing Benefit. This figure is the maximum amount of benefit that you may receive. However in order for us to tell you exactly how much benefit you can expect to receive you should contact or visit us providing details of all your income, savings and personal circumstances. You will then be in a position to know if you can afford the rent of the property.