Frequently Asked Question

How do other people living with me affect my housing benefit?

In most cases the government expects other adults living with you to contribute towards your rent. Adults such as relatives, grown up children and friends who live with you are called non-dependants. We make a non-dependant deduction from your Housing Benefit for most people aged 18 or over who live with you. These deductions vary depending on their circumstances. We need proof of their income and savings. No deduction is made for anyone under 18, or for Youth Trainees, full time students, (except during the summer vacation if they work full time), or anyone in hospital for more than 52 weeks or in legal custody. If you are over 65, and claiming for a partner in hospital, in some circumstances, there may be a delay of up to 26 weeks before the deduction is applied. If you or your partner are registered blind, receiving Attendance Allowance or the care component of Disability Living Allowance then nothing will be taken off your benefit for non-dependants.