Reduce your food waste
There are two main reasons why food ends up being recycled: we cook or prepare too much or we don't use it in time. Did you know that every day in Scotland we waste 2.6 million slices of bread?
There are a few simple things you can do to save money and avoid wasting food:
- Plan your meals and make a list of what you need to buy. Stick to your shopping list to help avoid impulse buys or buying more than you will use.
- Check your fridge and cupboards to see what needs to be used up. Read the label to see where your food is best stored cupboard, fridge or freezer to make it last as long as possible.
- When shopping, check the best before and use by dates and choose longer dates for food you won't eat right away.
- Download the Food Rescue App for ideas for what to do with leftover ingredients in your fridge.
- Visit Love Food Hate Waste for more handy hints and tips on cutting down your food waste.
- Read our posts on the Recycle for Aberdeen blog with tips on how to reduce food waste while shopping, at home and while cooking and eating out.
Love Your Food Recipe Book
Our recipe book contains ideas for tasty ways to use up leftovers, as well as information about planning meals and storing and preparing food. Download your copy of the Love Your Food Recipe Book now.
Back to the Household Waste and Recycling home page.