Green Baby Guide
If you are a parent or a carer, we've put together some information to help you look after the environment as well as your little one.
This page lists the best local and online options that we're currently aware of, but there are many other companies and options available. If there is any more information that you would like to see included on this page, please Contact the Waste and Recycling Team.
Reusable cloth nappies – or 'real nappies' as they are also known – are an environmentally-friendly alternative to disposables and can often work out cheaper overall. You can find out more about real nappies from:
- Go Real – the Real Nappy Information Service. The website features a different sponsor every month, and this often links to special deals. For information, advice or support, call their helpline on 0845 850 0606.
We've listed some cloth nappy suppliers below. If you're not sure if real nappies are right for you and your family, most companies offer trial packs. Check their websites for more details and special offers.
- Tots Bots sells real nappies and swim nappies. They are also available at major retailers including Boots and Tesco.
- Baba and Boo
- Little Lamb
- The Nappy Laundry Company sells and rents real nappies and provides a nappy laundry service covering Aberdeen, South Aberdeenshire and North Angus.
- Natural Nappies
- Splash About sells reusable swim nappies.
- Cheeky Wipes sells reusable cloth wipes which are more absorbent than disposable wipes and can be washed normally with other laundry.
Kitting out your growing family can be an expensive business. But if you are willing to consider second hand or 'pre-loved' things, you can pick up good quality items at an affordable price. Reusing items in this way is much better for the environment as it means that they don't go to waste. The organisations linked to below sell everything you need from prams, pushchairs, and nursery furniture to clothes and toys.
Many of these organisations also accept donations, so if you have baby items that you no longer need, you can sell them on or donate them to help other families.
- Home Start is a charity which supports families, and their shop at 101 George Street, Aberdeen, AB25 1ED sells a wide range of things for babies and children.
- Barnardos at Westhill Shopping Centre, Old Skene Road, AB32 6RL is a one-stop shop selling baby clothes, nursery furniture, prams, buggies, and toys and games.
- Jack and Jill Market hold regular sales of good quality second hand items for babies and children at the Hilton Treetops Hotel, Aberdeen, 161 Springfield Road, Aberdeen, AB15 7AQ. They also sell items online.
- The National Childbirth Trust, the UK's largest parenting charity, organises 'Nearly New Sales' and many other types of events for families. Check forthcoming dates for Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire on their local website or Facebook page.
- Preloved, Ebay, Gumtree, and Facebook local selling pages can be used to buy, sell and swap second hand babies' and children's items.
- Nom-Nom Kids sells reusable food pouches. Read their Frequently Asked Questions.
- Information about different types of glass baby bottles.
Make your own
If you're crafty and good with a sewing machine, here are a couple of ideas:
- Plush Addict sells nappy kits which contain everything you need to make your own cloth nappy.
- Download this pattern and instructions for making a bib from old clothes or towels.