How can we help you...

G - L of Recycling


Item  What to do 
Garden Seeds Share with other gardeners/allotments.
Garden waste

The best way to deal with garden waste is to compost at home.

You can build your own compost heap or buy a compost unit from a garden centre.

You can find further composting information on our Home Composting pages.

Aberdeen City Council operates a  Food and Garden Waste Recycling Service in some areas. Garden waste can also be taken to one of the Recycling Centres, where it will be collected for composting.

Gas Cylinders

Gas cylinders remain the property of the issuing company. Please return them to the address shown on the label.

If there is no ownership address on the cylinder, contact Taylor's Industrial Services on 01224 873972 for advice. There may be a charge for disposal.

Empty camping gas cylinders can go in your general waste bin. If your cylinder is leaking contact the manufacturer, the Fire Brigade or Aberdeen Calor Centre on 01224 637575 for advice. 

Gift Wrapping See Wrapping Paper in   Q - Z of Recycling

Glass bottles and jars can be recycled at  Recycling Centres or Recycling Points, or as part of your Kerbside Recycling service. Please remove all corks, metal lids, or plastic tops before recycling. Blue glass bottles and jars should be recycled in the same bin as green glass.

Please note that we cannot accept: window pane glass or mirrors, glass from picture frames or photo frames, broken glass tumblers, light bulbs, spectacles, ceramics or glass ovenware such as Pyrex dishes for recycling. These are made to a different 'recipe' from glass bottles and jars, and melt at different temperatures, which means they cannot be recycled together. Pyrex ovenware, for example, is designed to withstand high temperatures in your oven. This means it needs very high temperatures to melt it for recycling.

Never put broken glass in your kerbside recycling box. Instead, dispose of it carefully (e.g. wrapped in newspaper) in your general waste bin.

Reuse glass jars as storage containers or for home made preserves or pickles.

Returnable glass bottles should always be returned to the supplier.

Instead of buying glassware for a party, why not take advantage of glass hire companies? Tesco and Oddbins offer a glass hire service.


Spectacles cannot be collected for recycling by Aberdeen City Council.

However, many high street opticians will take back unwanted pairs of spectacles for re-use in developing countries. For more information visit the Vision Aid Overseas website at
Grass cuttings

Leaving cut grass on your lawn allows the nutrients in the cut material to return to the soil to be used by the growing lawn. This can also reduce your need for additional chemical lawn fertilisers.

Grass cuttings can be easily composted at home, in a home compost unit, or simply by spreading the grass cuttings on the garden as mulch. If you have a lot of grass cuttings, it is best not to add them to your home compost unit all at once, especially if they are wet as this can slow down the composting process. Try to dry the grass cuttings first by leaving them outside the bin in a heap, or to mix them thoroughly with drier items such as shrub prunings chopped small, dead flowers, or sawdust.

Alternatively, put the cuttings in your brown bin if you have the Food and Garden Waste Recycling Service, or take them to one of the Recycling Centres.


Item  What to do 
Hair Hair can be composted in your home compost unit adding essential nutrients.
Hazardous waste ALL TYPES OF HAZARDOUS WASTE including paint, pesticides, batteries, poisons, battery acid, paint stripper, household cleaners and chemicals, weed killers, medicines, tablets and fluorescent tubes should be taken to  Recycling Centres at Greenbank Crescent or Grove Nursery  for appropriate disposal. NEVER dispose of chemical liquids down your drain or in your general refuse bin.
Hearing Aids                     

Unwanted hearing aids can be sent to the Hearing Aid Appeal, run by Help the Aged. The hearing aids are tested and cleaned and sent to India, where they are desperately needed. Please send your unwanted hearing aids to:

Hearing Aid Appeal, Help the Aged, FREEPOST LON 13616, London EC1B 1PS or visit

Herbicides See Hazardous Waste in this section
Household Batteries See Batteries in A - C of Recycling
Household Chemicals See Hazardous Waste in this section.
Hypodermics  See Syringes in  Q - Z of Recycling

I / J

Item What to do 
Ink-jet cartridges        

Cartridge World, Rosemount Place, Aberdeen Tel: 633111, offer an ink cartridge refill service.

Also, See Cartridges in A - C of Recycling


 See Glass in this section. 

Junk Mail See Unwanted Mail  in Q - Z of Recycling

Jewellery can be repaired at local jewellery stores. 

Donate unwanted jewellery to your local charity shop. A full list of charity shops can be found in your local directory.

Unwanted jewellery can also be sold through your local or online classified ads or passed on via Freecycle. For more information visit



Item  What to do 
Kerbside Recycling Collection      A Kerbside Recycling  collection of materials for recycling is offered to suitable households across the city. You can recycle food and drink cans, glass bottles and jars, plastic bottles, foil and foil trays in the black box and paper and cardboard in the white bag or blue bag. To find out if your household receives a kerbside recycling collection, please Contact the Waste and Recycling Team.

Kitchen Foil

see Foil in D - F of Recycling
Kitchen Towels 

Used paper kitchen towels can be added to your home compost unit.

You can buy recycled kitchen towels from supermarkets.

Reduce the number you use by buying re-useable dishcloths.

Kitchen Waste See  Food and Garden Waste Recycling Service and Food Recycling for Flats
Knives You can dispose of knives safely at any of the Recycling Centres. Alternatively you can wrap the knife up in bubble wrap or another strong material, tape it up and put in a general waste bin.


Item  What to do 
Lead  See Scrap Metal in Q - Z of Recycling
Leaves Leaves are best composted separately from other materials because they can take up to two years to decompose. Collect leaves into a heap and allow to decompose naturally or place wet leaves in a plastic bin bag, twist or tie the top to seal and leave in a corner of your garden. When ready, the leaves will have made a dark coloured leaf-mould that can be used as mulch on your garden. You can also recycle your leaves by using the  Food and Garden Waste Recycling Service or at one of the Recycling Centres.
Linen See Textiles in Q - Z of Recycling
Light bulbs

Incandescent (i.e. standard) light bulbs cannot be recycled as the metal filaments and elements they contain contaminate the glass recycling process. These should be put in the black bin for disposal at landfill as this type of light bulb is currently being phased out across the EU.

Florescent tubes (i.e strip lights) and energy efficient light bulbs can be recycled at  Recycling Centres in the relevant Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment container.

Back to the  Household Waste and Recycling home page.