How can we help you...

Hazardous Waste

You can take the following types of hazardous waste to the Recycling Centres at Greenbank Crescent, East Tullos or Grove, Hazlehead, to be disposed of:

  • Car batteries, household batteries and battery acid
  • Fluorescent tube lightbulbs
  • Household chemicals and paint
  • Pesticides and weed killers
  • Used engine oil
  • Gas canisters 

You should NEVER dispose of chemicals down your drain or in your general waste bin. 


Asbestos is classed as hazardous waste and cannot be disposed of with your normal household or garden waste. All asbestos waste MUST be disposed of at a facility licenced to accept it. Aberdeen City Council currently does not provide an uplift or disposal service for any sort of asbestos waste.

For details of a licenced contractor who can uplift and dispose of asbestos in your area please contact the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) at:
Inverdee House
Baxter Street
AB11 9QA
Tel: 01224 266600

Please note that SEPA can only advise on licenced contractors and cannot arrange the uplift and dispose of asbestos. 
You can also search for licenced contractors in your area in the Yellow Pages.

Find out more about Asbestos Removal.  

Syringes and hypodermic needles

Used syringes should not be put directly into your general waste bin. All used needles, empty syringes, empty insulin cartridges and lancets must be put in a sharps bin. Sharps bins are plastic containers designed for the safe disposal of needles and sharps.

Sharps bins are available on prescription from your GP (FP10 prescription form) or from your local pharmacy. Your GP or pharmacist will also be able to give you advice on how to dispose of your sharps bin when it is full.

Back to the Household Waste and Recycling home page.