How can we help you...

Collection of Bulky Waste Items

If you have unwanted household items that are too big or heavy to go in your bin, we can collect them from you. These include items such as beds and mattresses, furniture, electrical items, etc. You can do this by calling us or visiting one of our Customer Access Points.

How can I arrange my collection and pay for it?

You can call the customer contact centre on 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281. Or you can visit one of our Customer Access Points.

  • Kincorth Customer Access Point can process all Environmental Service requests. They are able to take cash, cheque and card payments and can process invoices.
  • Mastrick Access Point can process all Environmental Service requests. They are able to take cash, cheque and card payments and can process invoices.
  • Marischal College Customer Service Centre do not process requests for Environmental Services or take payments for them. Instead they can provide you with free access to the Contact Centre 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281 numbers.
  • Woodside Access Point can process all Environmental Service requests. They are able to take cash, cheque and card payments and can process invoices

How much will a collection cost?

Our reasonably priced collection service allows us to offer a city wide service for those unable to visit the Recycling Centre themselves. The following charges will apply from 1st April 2014.

Bulky / Special collection

Collection Charge

Special uplift of up to four household items.


Discounted uplift for up to four household items


American style fridge / freezers


Vehicle uplift (domestic cars only)


House clearance

Starting from 180

For further information please call one of the Council's Customer Service Advisers on 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281.

Who is eligible for a discounted collection?

If you receive council tax and/or housing benefits, you will be eligible for the reduced rate. When you call for a collection you will be asked to provide a benefit claim reference number.

Who is eligible to have the first four items collected at no charge to them?

Only Council housing residents currently living in Aberdeen City Council housing and only the named housing tenant may call to arrange the collection. The charge for the collection of the first four items will be covered by the housing service and any additional items will be charged at the standard rates as above.

What items can be collected as part of a standard collection?

Four items only are collected for the standard 25 charge. These can include most large household items:

  • Beds and mattresses
  • Furniture
  • Cookers
  • Electrical items
  • Internal doors

Any items that require to be connected to any power or water supply must be disconnected before the collection can be done. Any items that require liquid fuel to power it must have fuel removed prior to collection. If unsure, please call 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281.

Are there items that will cost me more?

Any items not included in the household pick up will be charged for separately. This list is not exhaustive but can include items such as:

  • Piano
  • Kitchen units
  • Bathroom suite (toilet, bath, sink)
  • All carpets
  • Sheds and greenhouses (must be dismantled)
  • Industrial BBQ/grills
  • Sun bed without tubes – tubes must be taken to East Tullos Recycling Centre
  • Built in cupboards
  • Window frames (without the glass)
  • Fencing
  • Garden toys (e.g. slides, sandpits)                     

For all the above items and for large items that are over 6ft x 6ft in size – please call the customer contact centre for advice and pricing.  Large items should be dismantled where possible.

Please Note: Collection crews will be constrained by health and safety guidance, which limits the ability to collect from within properties any items above safe lifting weight.

What items can not be collected?

Restrictions due to health and safety legislation means we are unable to collect any of the following items:

  • Asbestos
  • Builder’s rubble and materials
  • Car engines
  • Central heating boiler
  • Glass and shards of glass
  • Chemicals
  • Liquids of any type, eg paints, varnishes, oils (fuels required to power any items  must be removed before collection)
  • Motorcycles
  • Tyres
  • Tree stumps
  • Gas cylinders

What happens to my rubbish once it has been uplifted?

Furniture, bags of rubbish etc are collected in a standard refuse collection vehicle, which crushes and compacts. The waste is then disposed of at landfill.

White goods are collected separately in a box van and taken to a local scrap dealer, who reuses and recycles as much of the item as possible.

Fridges and freezers are again collected in a box van. The gasses within the unit (CFCs & HCFCs) are removed before the other reusable/recyclable components of the unit are removed.

Do I have to pay for the collection in advance?

Yes. We will only schedule the collection once we have received payment.

What are my alternatives if I don’t want to pay the 25?

There are five Household Waste Recycling Centres In Aberdeen City that allow residents to dispose of their household waste. You can take your items to one of these recycling centres free of charge.  If you have items that are in good condition you can donate them for reuse. Email the Waste Team at or call the customer contact centre on 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281 for details of community reuse projects in your area.

Where is my closest Recycling Centre?

There are five Household Waste Recycling Centres in Aberdeen, located at:

  • Greenbank Crescent, East Tullos.
  • Perwinnes Moss, Scotstown Road, Bridge of Don.
  • Pitmedden Road, Dyce.
  • Sclattie Disposal Works, Bankhead Avenue, Bucksburn.
  • Grove Nursery, Hazlehead


Back to the Household Waste home page.