In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Special / Bulky Uplifts
If you are unable to deal with special/bulky items the Waste Team can collect them from you.
Costs are listed below - call 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281 for further information.
- How can I arrange my collection and pay for it?
- How much will a collection cost?
- Who is eligible for a discounted collection?
- Who is eligible to have the first four items collected at no charge to them?
- What items can be collected as part of a standard collection?
- Are there items that will cost me more?
- What items can not be collected?
- What happens to my rubbish once it's been uplifted?
- Do I have to pay for the collection in advance?
- What are my alternatives if I don't want to pay the £23?
- Where is my closest Recycling Centre?
You can call the customer contact centre on 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281.
- Kincorth Customer Access Point can process all Environmental Service requests. They are able to take cash, cheque and card payments and can process invoices.
- Mastrick Access Point can process all Environmental Service requests. They are able to take cash, cheque and card payments and can process invoices.
- Marischal College Customer Service Centre do not process requests for Environmental Services or take payments for them. Instead they provide the customer with free access to the Contact Centre 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281 numbers.
- Woodside Access Point can process all Environmental Service requests. They are able to take cash, cheque and card payments and can process invoices
The Podium will not process requests for service but they will take invoice payments, and accept cash, cheque and cards.
Our reasonably priced collection service allows us to offer a city wide service for those unable to visit the Recycling Centre themselves.
Bulky / Special collection
Special uplift of up to four household items.
|Discounted uplift for up to four household items||
American style fridge / freezers
Vehicle uplift (domestic cars only)
Starting from £175
For further more detailed information please call one of the Council's Customer Service Advisers on 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281.
Residents who are in receipt of council tax and/or housing benefits are given a reduced rate for collections. When you call for a collection you will be asked to provide a benefit claim reference number.
Only Council housing residents currently living in Aberdeen City Council housing and only the named housing tenant may call to arrange the collection. The charge for the collection of the first four items will be covered by the housing service and any additional items will be charged at the standard rates as above.
Four items only are collected for the standard £23 charge. These can include most large household items:
- Beds and mattresses
- Electrical items
- Internal doors
Any items that require to be connected to any power or water supply must be disconnected before the collection can be done. Any items that require liquid fuel to power it must have fuel removed prior to collection. If unsure, please call 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281.
Any items not included in the household pick up will be charged for separately. This list is not exhaustive but can include items such as:
- Kitchen units
- Bathroom suite (toilet, bath, sink)
- All carpets
- Sheds and greenhouses (must be dismantled)
- Industrial BBQ/grills
- Sun bed without tubes tubes must be taken to East Tullos Recycling Centre
- Built in cupboards
- Window frames (without the glass)
- Garden toys (e.g. slides, sandpits)
For all the above items and for large items that are over 6ft x 6ft in size please call the customer contact centre for advice and pricing. Large items should be dismantled where possible.
Please Note: Collection crews will be constrained by health and safety guidance, which limits the ability to collect from within properties any items above safe lifting weight.
Restrictions due to health and safety legislation means we are unable to collect any of the following items:
- Builders rubble and materials
- Car engines
- Central heating boiler
- Glass and shards of glass
- Liquids of any type, eg paints, varnishes, oils (fuels required to power any items must be removed before collection)
- Tree stumps
- Gas cylinders
Furniture, bags of rubbish etc are collected in a standard refuse collection vehicle, which crushes and compacts. The waste is then disposed of at landfill.
White goods are collected separately in a box van and taken to a local scrap dealer, who reuses and recycles as much of the item as possible.
Fridges and freezers are again collected in a box van. The gasses within the unit (CFCs & HCFCs) are removed before the other reusable/recyclable components of the unit are removed.
Yes. The Council will only place the required collection in to the collection schedule once payment for the works has been received.
The new procedure streamlines the previous special collection process in that, in most cases, with a set charging mechanism there is no longer the requirement for a Council official to visit and provide quote for works, and gain signature for authorisation of charge and collection. There is now also no need for the issuing of invoices and associated costs.
Aberdeen City Council has four recycling centres located throughout Aberdeen City that allow residents to dispose of their household waste. You can take your items to one of these recycling centres free of charge. If you have items that are in good condition you can donate them for reuse. Email the Waste Team at WasteAware@aberdeencity.gov.uk or call the customer contact centre on 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281 for details of community reuse projects in your area.
There are five recycling centres in Aberdeen, located at:
- Greenbank Crescent, East Tullos.
- Perwinnes Moss, Scotstown Road, Bridge of Don.
- Pitmedden Road, Dyce.
- Sclattie Disposal Works, Bankhead Avenue, Bucksburn.
- Grove Nursery, Hazlehead
- Waste Team
Tel: 08456 08 09 19 or 01224 219281
Back to the Household Waste home page.