In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Content Related Links
- Assisted Collections
- Assisted Garden Waste Collection
- Christmas and New Year Waste and Recycling Collections
- Food Waste Kerbside Collection
- Garden Waste Kerbside
- Green Cone
- Home Composting
- Household Waste Collection Calendar
- Metal Matters!
- Missed Collections
- Recycling Centres
- Special/Bulky Collections
- Waste Strategy
Household Waste Collections
Black wheeled bins are provided for the disposal of any household waste that cannot be reused or recycled. Please do not leave any excess waste out at the side of your bin, as we will not be able to collect it.
Find your Household Waste Collection dates
- You can view or download your Household Waste Collection Calendar.
- Find out about Christmas and New Year Waste and Recycling Collections
If you have a large item that cannot fit in the wheeled bin provided, please take it to one of the citys Recycling Centres for disposal, or call the Customer Contact Centre on 08456 08 09 19 for information about our Special/Bulky Collections service.
We also offer an Assisted Collections service for residents who are unable to put their black wheeled bin, garden waste bin or recycling box and bag out for collection.
Please view Aberdeen City Council's Household Waste and Recycling Policy for full details.
How to use your wheeled bin
- Your bin will be collected fortnightly in areas where a kerbside recycling service is available, and weekly in areas where it is not.
- Your black wheeled bin is for waste that cannot be reused or recycled. Please use your recycling service and your food/garden waste collection service, if available.
- Place your bin at the kerbside by 7am on your scheduled collection day.
- Please close your bin lid.
- Please do not leave anything at the side of your bin. Take any excess waste to one of our Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
- Please do not put any of the following in your bin: hot ashes, rubble or soil, corrosive materials or liquids including paint, stones or large solid objects. All these can be taken to your nearest Household Waste and Recycling Centre. There are also collection facilities at these sites for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE).
- Remember to remove the bin from the kerbside as soon as is practically possible following collection. Please do not store your bin on the pavement.
- If you have anything that is too big to fit in your bin please take it to your nearest Household Waste and Recycling Centre or call 08456 08 09 19 to request a special collection.
Who is responsible for the wheeled bin?
The householder is responsible for the bin but it remains the property of the Council and should not be taken with you if you move house. Householders are advised to take appropriate steps to ensure the upkeep and security of their bin.
Can I have more than one wheeled bin?
Households with five or more permanent residents, or with one or more permanent residents with special circumstances which cause them to produce excess waste, can apply for an additional black wheeled bin where there is a genuine capacity need. These households must make use of the kerbside recycling service and the garden and food waste service where these are available before an application will be accepted.
There is a charge of £35 (including VAT) for the provision and delivery of an additional bin. A 50% discount is available for those on Council Tax Benefit or Housing Benefit. You will need to quote your reference number on the application form.
There is no charge to those residents requiring an additional bin due to a medical condition or disability.
Contact the Customer Service Centre on 08456 08 09 19 if you wish to apply for an additional bin.
What if my wheeled bin is not suitable?
If you require a smaller bin, want to report a stolen or damaged bin or request assistance with moving your wheeled bin contact the Customer Service Centre on 08456 08 09 19.
Is there any domestic waste I should not put in the bin?
Please do not put any of the following in your wheeled bin.
- Hot ashes
- Builders rubble/ garden soil
- Large solid objects
- Corrosive materials & liquids, including paints
If you do not have access to a black wheeled bin or wish to know your general refuse collection day or the frequency of your collections please contact the Customer Service Centre on 08456 08 09 19.
- Waste Team
Tel: 08456 08 09 19
Back to the Waste Aware Aberdeen - Household Waste Collection and Recycling and Services home page.