How can we help you...

Content Related Links

Download Documents

     Get Adobe Reader

Skip Permits

Licence Summary

To place a skip on a public road  within Aberdeen requires a permit from Aberdeen City Council.  A permit currently costs 35 per week. 

If spaces within a Car Parks and Parking Charges area are to be used then a further 30 per space per day (where applicable) for A, B, C, E, F & G shall be payable, 15 for all other zones.

Placing a skip on the public road without a permit is committing an offence. 

Please note: Only skip hire companies should apply for a skip permit from Aberdeen City Council and members of the public must apply through these companies.

Regulation Summary

Roads (Scotland) Act 1984

Application Evaluation Process

Application for a permit may be denied if the proposed location of the skip is deemed unsatisfactory (see standard conditions below ) or if the proposed location and timing clashes with any other known proposed work.

Standard Conditions

Builders' skips may be placed on roads in Aberdeen where a skip is a reasonable means of carrying out a job and provided a permit is obtained in accordance with Section 85 of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984. A charge will be made for these permits, the charge will be reviewed each year and will reflect the value of the road-space and the work entailed in chasing up hire companies and their customers.

To be permitted on the road, the following must be adhered to:

  • A skip must be in good condition
  • It must not have holes through which material may spill onto the road surface
  • It must not be so worn out, bent or damaged that pedestrians might be injured or their clothing torn if they brush against it
  • It must have its ends painted yellow and have reflective strips attached to the upper outer edges of its ends to reflect headlights of approaching vehicles
  • It must also have the name and telephone number of its owner clearly marked on its sides
  • A skip may not normally be used as an extension to any business premises
  • A skip may not be used on the road at a site that has a yard capable of accommodating the required storage
  • A skip may not normally be located within a domestic driveway as the crossing will not be capable of taking the weight of the skip truck without the risk of damage to the footway or services buried within it
  • A skip may not normally be located on a verge. Should a skip be placed anywhere other than on a carriageway, even if a permit has been granted, the applicant will be held liable for any damage to the road or any services in the road. The term 'road' always includes any footway, verge or reserve maintained as part of the right of way

A skip may be placed where loading is not prohibited. The hours during which loading is prohibited will apply to the placing of a skip. A skip which is placed in an area which is not lit during the hours of darkness, or where vehicles do not normally park, should be protected by a line of cones extending at 45 from the kerb to the outer edge of the skip and at least two lights hung from the outer edge of the skip. If parking is permitted on an area of road in the vicinity of the job then the skip should normally be located within this area. If charges are made for parking on the street where the skip is to be located then the loss of revenue to the Council through parking charges will be reflected in the permit fee. Permits will normally last for one week unless a lesser period is specified at the time of application. Any period specified by the applicant will determine the duration of a permit.

The Roads (Scotland) Act 1984, in relation to skips, refers to the road, and not the public road, and it is therefore assumed that a permit will be required unless satisfactory evidence can be provided at the time of application, for any skip located on any right of way adopted by Aberdeen City Council as local Roads Authority and also on any road not so adopted or any lane which either serves as the principal access to more than two properties or gives access to public roads at both ends.

De-mountable trailers are not normally permitted on the road, as the rollers used to manoeuvre them will damage road surfaces and road markings.

A skip must not be located where it will be an obstruction to road users and it must not block road drainage channels.

Skips should not be located where they may obscure window displays or block access to any premises.

Skips must not be located outside nightclubs at times when the premises are in use. Skips located in streets where clubbers congregate must be removed or securely covered while the clubbers are around.

Precautions must be taken to damp down dusty loads and to prevent the contents of a skip blowing about in windy weather. Skips must not be overloaded and any spills must be promptly cleared up. Materials which are hazardous or noxious may only be deposited in a skip placed on the road if it is covered and appropriately adapted for such use. In any event, adequate steps must be taken to ensure road users do not come into contact with such materials and the skip must be removed before there is any environmental hazard caused.

In the event of failure to abide by the conditions of a skip permit the Council will reserve the right to remove the skip and recover the consequent costs from the relevant party.

A skip placed on the road without a permit may be deemed to be an obstruction of the road and thus the owner or hirer may be liable to prosecution if reported to the Procurator Fiscal.

Will Tacit Consent Apply

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process any application before it can be granted. If applicants have not heard from Aberdeen City Council within a reasonable period, please use the contact details below.

Apply Online

You will soon be able to apply for this service using the ELMS portal system supplied by the UK Government's Department for Business Innovation and Skills. Once that system is made available and has been tested, links will appear on this page.

Failed Application Redress 

Please contact your local authority in the first instance, using the details below.

Licence Holder Redress 

Please contact your local authority in the first instance, using the details below.

Consumer Complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, then will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations

Back to the Roads and Pavements home page.