Business Parking Permit Guidance Notes
1. About This Guide
Please read the following notes carefully as they contain essential information for all applicants. If you require further assistance please telephone 01224 219284.
2. How to Make Your Application
First time applicants and applicants wishing to renew an existing business parking permit should complete the Business Parking Permit Application Form and provide the necessary supporting documents (see sections 8 and 9 of this guide).
Applications can be made by post or in person at the Marischal College Customer Service Centre. We will return your form to you if you have not filled it in properly or enclosed the relevant documents and appropriate payment to support your application. This will delay us in issuing your permit. You are responsible for applying for a new permit before your old permit expires. You can renew your permit up to 20 days before it expires. There is a 10 day grace period after the expiry of your old permit.
3. Who Qualifies for a Permit?
You are entitled to a business parking permit if your business premises are located within a controlled parking zone and the permit is used solely for business purposes.
The vehicle must be a passenger or lights goods vehicle weighing less than 3.5 tonnes and designed for 8 passengers or less (driver excluded)
Permits are not required for motorcycles which may be parked free of charge in any parking bay.
Permits must be displayed on the vehicle windscreen and are only valid for use within the designated residents only, on street pay and display, ticket zone and voucher parking bays. You are not guaranteed a space in your zone.
The number of permits that a business is entitled to depends on the zone in which its premises are located.
- Zones A to G: Businesses are entitled to a maximum of 1 fixed permit.
- All Other Zones: Businesses are entitled to a maximum of 2 permits. Please see the payment chart in section 10 of this guide for details of the charges.
If a permit application is received and the maximum entitlement for that business address has been met then the application will be rejected. It is the responsibility of occupants to decide who will be the permit holders.
4. Who Does Not Qualify for a Permit?
You will not qualify for a business parking permit if:-
- for use on a trailer or caravan
- the permit is to be used to simply facilitate the journey to and from work.
5. Application by Post
You can post your form to the address provided in section 6 of this guide. Please remember to enclose the completed and signed form with all of the relevant documents; together with your cheque payment (see section 11).
We will return your permit and documents to you by post. If you include your email address on the application form then an email will be issued to confirm the permit has been dispatched or if any further information is required from you.
Please allow at least 10 working days to apply for a permit by post. In the meantime, you may not park your vehicle in the controlled zone unless:
- a valid business permit is displayed OR
- payment is made to a pay and display machine
6. Application in Person
You or your representative can bring your completed and signed application form and documents to the Marischal College Customer Service Centre to obtain your permit. The application form must be signed by the applicant or their spouse/partner and not a representative. Payments will only be accepted in cash or by card. Cheque payments are not accepted.
The Customer Service Centre address is Customer Service Centre, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB. The opening hours are 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. You may wish to avoid the lunch time period as it is the busiest time.
The local Customer Access Points do not deal with parking permit applications.
7. Fixed or Flexible Permit?
There are 2 types of permit available:
- Fixed permits are only valid for one specific vehicle and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle. The vehicle registration number must be declared on the application form.
- Flexible permits can be used on any vehicle, e.g. a visitors vehicle. Flexible permits are not available to residents in Zones A to G.
8. Proof of Business Address
You are required to provide proof of business residency to obtain your business parking permit. You must provide a document from the list below.
- A current utility bill (dated within the last 3 months)
- A current bank/credit card statement (dated within the last 3 months)
- A Non Domestic Rates bill (dated within the last 3 months)
- A mortgage agreement (dated within the last 3 months)
- A current tenancy agreement (it must be issued by a solicitor or leasing agent on headed paper and be dated within the last 3 months).
The document must clearly show your business name and address. Clear photocopies will also be accepted.
9. Proof of Vehicle Ownership
If applying for a new fixed permit, you are required to show proof of vehicle use and ownership of the vehicle as detailed below. Please note clear photocopies are acceptable.
- If the vehicle is owned by yourself or the business, please provide all pages of the DVLA Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) and your certificate of insurance showing the vehicle is insured for business use or the company's group policy
insurance certificate showing all drivers and vehicles. Only a 3 month permit will be issued if
you are unable to supply the V5C documentation but have the bill of sale or insurance documentation confirming the make, model and vehicle registration. If after the 3 months you are still unable to produce the V5C as form of proof for
your following application, it will be rejected.
- If you are hiring the vehicle, please provide the contract hire agreement showing your name / the business name and the vehicle registration number.
Permits can be issued with a 12 months, 6 months or 3 months expiration. The prices as of June 1st 2012 are as follows:
|12 months||6 months|| 3 months
|12 months||6 months|| 3 months
11. How to Pay
Payment by post should be made by cheque. Please write your name and address on the back and make it payable to 'Aberdeen City Council'.
Applications in person at the Customer Service Centre can be paid by debit/credit card or cash. Please note that debit/credit card is the preferred payment method and cheques are not accepted.
12. Lost, Stolen or Damaged Permits
If you need a replacement permit then please complete the Business Parking Permit Application Form. Proof of residency must be provided (see section 8 of this guide). Replacement permits are valid for the remaining period of your original permit.
A £10 administration fee is payable for all replacement fixed permits. The charge for a replacement flexible permit depends on the circumstances. If a flexible permit has been stolen or damaged and evidence is provided, e.g. a crime reference or relevant insurance documentation, you will be charged a £10 fee. Lost flexible permits will be replaced once at half the cost of the original permit. Further replacements within a 12 month period will be charged at full cost of the original.
13. Change of Vehicle or Number Plate
If you permanently change your vehicle or number plate and have a fixed permit then please complete the
Business Parking Permit Change of Vehicle Registration form you must return your original permit, provide proof of business address and proof of ownership for your new vehicle (see sections 8 and 9 of this guide). You will be charged a £10 administration fee for a replacement which will be valid for the remaining period of your original permit.
14. Change of Address
If you change your business address then please complete the Business Parking Permit Application Form form.
If your business is moving within the same parking zone then you can continue to use your existing permit but you must inform us of your change of address.
If you change your business address and are moving to a different parking zone within Aberdeen City then you must return your existing permit(s) for a replacement permit to be issued. A £10 administration fee is payable unless returned within the renewal period.
If your business is moving to an area outside the parking Zones then please return your existing permit as soon as possible to the address in section 6 of this guide. Please note we will not refund any unused time for permits which are surrendered while still valid.
15. Misuse and Abuse of the Scheme
Permits will be withdrawn if conditions of use are contravened. This includes:
- selling your permit;
- providing false information to obtain a permit;
- allowing non residents to use your address to obtain a permit;
- using the permit for non business purposes.
Click here to download a Printable Version Business Parking Permit Guidance Notes.
(Business Parking Permit Guidance Notes Updated 01.08.13)