How can we help you...

Community Occupational Therapy in Aberdeen City

This service is now provided by Bon Accord Care. For more information, please call 01224 570400.

The Community Occupational Therapy Service provides help for people of all ages who experience difficulty coping with everyday activities due to disability, illness and/or the ageing process. The aim of Occupational Therapy is to provide a comprehensive service to enable people to remain as independent as possible within the community.


Am I Eligible for Help?

The Occupational Therapy Service may be able to help if you:

  • Are a resident in Aberdeen City (Aberdeenshire residents please see for information)
  • Have difficulty coping with daily living activities due to permanent or temporary illness and/or disability e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy
  • Have difficulty coping with daily living activities due to the ageing process e.g. heart disease, Parkinson's disease, dementia, respiratory illness
  • Have a terminal illness
  • Have suffered a trauma or sudden onset illness e.g. head injury, stroke
  • Are at risk of being admitted to hospital
  • Are waiting for surgery e.g. hip replacement – we will ensure essential equipment is in place before discharge home

How do I get an Occupational Therapy assessment?

You can get in touch with us yourself or if you prefer you can get someone else to do this on your behalf (the Duty OT, telephone 01224 666360). The information taken is called a referral. Anyone can make a referral to our service as long as consent is given and appropriate information is available. It is important that we get as much information as possible to process your referral. The information we require is your name, address, telephone number, date of birth, GP, details of your medical condition, the difficulties you are having, if you live alone and who owns your house (relevant if any adaptation is required).

Confidentiality - all information provided is treated with the strictest confidence and is only passed on with your consent. Your information is stored on Aberdeen City Council computer system and only authorised staff have access to this. Also with your consent we may need to gather some more information about you from other professionals e.g. your G.P., District Nurse.

How soon will I be seen?

The information we receive about you is necessary to prioritise your referral. Occupational Therapy is a very busy service, receiving approximately 7,000 referrals per year, so it is necessary to prioritise these to ensure that those people in most need or at risk receive our service first. We operate an emergency, high, and medium priority system. Low priority referrals will be provided with advice only. For example if you have been discharged from hospital and you have difficulty with essential daily activities or your condition requires and urgent assessment you would be seen immediately. If you have difficulty with less essential activities or have assistance from a carer/relative you may have to wait several weeks to be seen. If you only have problems with bathing you may have to wait longer.

Many referrals can be dealt with without a visit, for example if you only require a rail or banister or if a piece of equipment is faulty/needs replaced, this can be arranged by the duty Occupational Therapist.

If your referral is placed on our waiting list you will receive a letter explaining this and you will be advised to contact us if your circumstances change before you are seen.

What can the Occupational Therapy service provide?

  • An assessment of your ability and needs that generally takes place at home but can also be at work, school, day centre or other residential establishment. During the assessment your physical, psychological, social and cultural needs and the needs of your carer will be taken into consideration
  • Provide support and advice to you and your carers on coping with the problems that arise in everyday life as a result of your condition
  • Teach new methods of carrying out everyday activities
  • Provide equipment to help with daily living activities
  • Arrange for minor adaptations to be carried out e.g. grab rails, banisters
  • Advice and assistance with major adaptations e.g. ramp and shower installations, widening doors for wheelchair access
  • Download a copy of the leaflet.

You will be contacted by a member of the Community Occupational Therapy staff and a visit to assess your needs will be arranged. This will enable you to discuss and demonstrate the difficulties you are having. You may have someone present if you wish during your assessment and together we will discuss the best possible solutions for you.

What help may be provided now?

Following the assessment you will discuss with the therapist the best possible solutions to enable you to remain as independent as possible. These may include:

  • Education about the nature of your disability and teaching new techniques in daily living activities. Advice on energy conservation, joint protection, moving and handling
  • Liaison with and referral to other agencies – we work closely with Health care and other social work staff so it may be appropriate to refer you to a different professional with your consent
  • Providing equipment to promote independence and prevent further deterioration. Equipment may also be necessary as a risk precaution following certain types of surgery. We can provide many different types of equipment to assist with most daily activities and examples of these are:
    • Toileting – raised toilet seat, toilet frame
    • Seating – chair raisers, foam cushion
    • Access – portable ramps
    • Bathing/Showering – bath seat, shower board
    • Kitchen - perch stool, kettle tipper, walking trolley
    • Dressing – sock aid, easi-reach, dressing stick
    • Bed – bed rail, pillow lifter
    • Transfers – portable hoist

The equipment is provided on loan for as long as you need it. There is no charge for equipment and if there are any problems with it or you no longer require it you should contact the service.

We do not provide walking aids, scooters wheelchairs, specialised beds, or equipment necessary to manage a medical problem e.g. incontinence pads, commodes, urinals, dressings. Contact your G.P. practice to get advice on who will supply these.

Arranging adaptations – following the assessment you may be eligible to have an adaptation to your property to promote your independence.

Adaptations may be:

  • Minor e.g. external rails, banisters, grab rails, lowering thresholds
  • Major e.g. adapting a kitchen to suit wheelchair use, installing a level access shower, installing a permanent ramp, widening doors.
  • It is necessary to establish who owns the property as there are different systems in place to fund adaptations.
  • Private Property – if you are eligible, minor adaptations or major adaptations costing less than £500 can be arranged by us and there may be a charge for these. This will be discussed with you and a means tested financial assessment may be required. For major adaptations costing more than £500 you can apply for a private sector grant.
  • Council Property – if following your Occupational Therapy assessment you are eligible for an adaptation this will be paid for by Aberdeen City Council
  • Housing Association – if following your Occupational Therapy assessment you are eligible for an adaptation this will be paid for by the Housing Association who owns your property

Direct Payments – if following assessment you are eligible to receive a service you can opt to receive a cash payment which can be used towards the purchase of equipment or adaptation that you require.

What will the assessment involve?

Think about the things that cause you difficulty before the therapist visits. You might find things more difficult at certain times of the day, or on different days. Several visits may be necessary to carry out a full assessment.

You will discuss which activities you are having difficulty with and you may be asked to demonstrate these, for example:

  • Getting around the house e.g. walking around, using stairs, getting in/out of bed, on/off the toilet, chairs, using your wheelchair
  • Managing personal care e.g. dressing, washing, getting in/out of the bath/shower
  • Managing domestic tasks e.g. preparing meals, shopping, cleaning
  • Managing eating and drinking
  • Do you have anyone to help
  • Do you have any difficulty seeing, hearing, communication
  • How easily do you become tired doing activities

How to contact us

The Occupational Therapy duty service is part of a NHS Grampian and Aberdeen City Council joint integrated point and is based at the City Hospital. Referrals to Occupational Therapy can be made by telephone, fax, letter or in person. All enquires about equipment should also be made to this point where urgent repairs or replacement can be arranged. Contact details as follows:

  • Duty Occupational Therapist
    Hillylands Independent Living Centre
    Croft Road
    Aberdeen, AB16 6RB
    Telephone: 01224 666360
    Duty Clerical Telephone: 01224 666363 (for urgent repairs of equipment)
    Fax: 01224 666380

Opening times: 9am-5pm

If you have an emergency e.g. your hoist or stair lift breaks down and the Integrated Duty Point is closed you can contact the out of hours service on telephone: 01224 693936 or contact your service agent.

Hillylands Independent Living Centre

The Hillylands Independent Living Centre is one of just a handful of such centres in Scotland, in which occupational therapy professionals, along with special equipment, have been brought together under one roof.

The new £200,000 project, launched by Bon Accord Care Ltd in partnership with Aberdeen City Council, has seen the complete refurbishment of the former education centre building at the Croft Road/Hillylands Road junction in Mastrick to create the centre.

Hillylands provides showroom space for everyday equipment which can help people go about their daily lives more easily to stay safe and independent in the home – and the centre has a team of staff on hand who can provide advice on occupational therapy services and on the most appropriate equipment to meet people's needs.

Hillylands is open to the public from 9am–5pm, Mondays–Fridays, and also offers appointments for occupational therapy assessments, including taking referrals from GPs. Anyone can pop along, whether they are older or disabled themselves or if they are a friend or family member who is keen to find out information on what is available.

The centre is kitted out with a full-scale kitchen to allow people to try out everything from special utensils to adapted fittings to make living with a disability easier – and also has specialist bathroom and bedroom areas to allow people to make informed choices on the aids and furniture that would best suit them and their lifestyle. Hillylands is not a shop but can offer on-the-spot advice and guidance on what to buy, from among the 20,000 products on the market designed to assist older and disabled people.

  • Hillylands Independent Living Centre
    Croft Road
    AB16 6RB
    Reception: 01224 666350

Community Equipment Service

The Community Equipment Service is based at:

  • Units 3 and 4
    Whitemyres Avenue
    AB16 6HQ

This service looks after all community equipment issued by Social Care and Well Being Occupational Therapy staff, such as: toilet seats; hoists; bath seats; ramps; stairlifts as well as Community Alarm and Telecare Equipment.

We provide the following services: deliveries, collections, repairs, maintenance, cleaning and re-cycling of all equipment.

Minor Adaptations such as fitting grab rails, portable ramps and floor fixing equipment are carried out by the service Technician.

If you have any concerns regarding the use of any equipment please call the Duty Occupational Therapist on 01224 666360

If you have an item of equipment which you no longer require please call 08453376380 to arrange for it to be collected.

For repairs & maintenance please call 01224 788616 or 01224 666363.


Back to the Older People and Rehabilitation home page.