How can we help you...

Content Related Links

Related Links

How to Access Your Social Work File

Social Work Information

When you required assistance from or had contact with Social Work we will have asked you for information about yourself. We may have requested additional information about your circumstances from other agencies or individuals. Information may also have been given to us in a referral from a third party, such as your GP.

We record the information so that we can have a full picture of your needs. These records are confidential and normally are only seen by employees, and other authorised representatives involved in working with you.

Can I See The Information You Hold About Me?

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you a legal right to see what information is held about you and we wish to support people in gaining access to anything that is written about them. However there are some circumstances set out in the Data Protection Act where we may NOT be able to disclose to you all the information we hold. Even if these circumstances apply, we have the duty to provide you with as much information as we can.

Examples of circumstances:

  • Information which may be seriously harmful to you or some other person.
  • The information identifies another person who has not agreed to it being passed to you.
  • Special rules apply to information provided by Health Professionals, the Children's Reporter and the Education Service.
  • Information given and held for the purposes of preventing or detecting crime, or for prosecuting or apprehending offenders.
  • Information, which is, restricted by another law e.g. adoption agency records.

What If Access Is Refused To All Or Part Of My Information?

You can appeal against the decision to the Sheriff Court or the Information Commissioner.

The address of the Commissioner is:

  • Information Commissioner
    Wycliffe House
    Water Lane
    SK9 5AF
    Fax: 01625 524510
    Enquiry / Information Line: 01625 545745

Additional information can also be found on the Information Commissioner's website at The Information Commissioner's Office (Data Protection) website.

If you require further advice regarding an appeal, further assistance may be obtained from a Solicitor or the Citizen's Advice Bureau, 41 Union Street, Aberdeen, AB11 5BN. Tel 01224 586255.

How Long Will It Take To See My Information?

On receipt of your request we will aim to provide the information to you within 40 days.

Is There A Charge?

A small charge of no more than 10 may be levied to cover administration costs but in certain circumstances this may be waived.

If The Information On My Record Is Wrong What Can I Do?

If you think that the information about you is wrong you should tell the Social Worker who has provided it or another employee who is working with you. If we agree that what is recorded is wrong then the information will be altered and if we do not agree that what is recorded is wrong we will note your concerns on the record.

How Do I Ask To See My Information?

Please use this form to request access to your information.

Send your completed form to the Senior Social Worker in the office where your information is held, or the person in charge if you go to a day centre or live in a residential home.

If you no longer have a contact with Social Work or do not know your Social Worker's name and address please send this form direct to:

  • Director of Social Care and Wellbeing
    Aberdeen City Council
    Business Hub 12
    2nd Floor West
    Marischal College
    Broad Street
    AB10 1AB

    Tel: 08456 080910
     or  01224 522 000

Back to the  home page.