Content Related Links
- Aberdeen FC Community Trust
- Active Ageing
- CFINE (Community Food Initiatives North East)
- Evergreens Programme
- Good neighbour and befriending service
- I.T. help and support
- Increasing independence and confidence I.T.
- Information for Carers
- Information on activities, support and advice on Dementia
- Information on health and community services
- Know who to turn to: finding the right medical assistance (NHS Grampian)
- Services in the Health Village
- The Silver Line (confidential helpline for older people)
- Volunteering information and opportunities
What is Wellbeing?
Wellbeing is made up of many different things and it varies from person to person. Every individual is unique in their own right. What you need to increase or maintain your wellbeing may well be different from your friends or family.
There are many definitions of wellbeing; however they all contain the same message - that it is important to be as healthy as you can be, to maintain or increase your physical activity, to have social connections, to feel happy and content and be truly valued for who you are.
Who are we?
The Wellbeing team is a small team of individuals with different skills and backgrounds. We work in a person centred way to help older citizens to stay as active as possible and to achieve their goals.
How will the Wellbeing team benefit you?
- We will listen to you and recognise what is important to you.
- We will create opportunities for you to stay as active as possible.
- We will encourage you to become involved in achieving the things that are important to you.
- We will help connect you with community based resources that may be of interest to you.
What could we do for you?
Our team work in locations all over the city in a variety of different settings. The team actively try to identify gaps in wellbeing opportunities and see what can be done both locally and citywide to improve this. The team seeks to work in partnership with statutory and third sector organisations as well as individuals so that activities are sustainable, purposeful and meaningful.
The Wellbeing team can offer help to anyone who is 65+ and who would like help or support to:
- Increase their physical activity; it is never too late to become more active. There are exercises that improve strength and balance regardless of age or ability.
- Loneliness and isolation is detrimental to your wellbeing. There are many organisations and individuals in the city who offer a warm welcome, and we can help to find something that interests you.
- Create a new venture, is there something no longer happening that you used to enjoy?
- Get outdoors more, the Wellbeing team actively encourage you to get outside more and are involved in projects to make this as attractive to older citizens as possible. This includes care establishments, sheltered and very sheltered housing as well as those living independently in their own homes.
- Have fun! Getting enjoyment out of any activity is beneficial for all of us; we like to include these essential elements into everything we do.
Wellbeing Partnership Initiatives
By working in partnership the Wellbeing Team have helped community groups and other agencies to initiate new activities which include
- Technogym - Easyline
- Active ageing sessions
- Group Singing
- Ten Pin Bowling
- Table Tennis
- Outdoor Projects
- Qi Gong
- Golden Games
- Art and Craft groups
- Wellbeing & Prevention events
- Meaningful activity kits
- Social Groups
- Chair based exercises
- Healthy Lifestyle Projects
- Jayne Boyle
Senior Wellbeing Coordinator
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 8, First Floor North
Phone: 01224 522270