In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Aberdeenís Open Space Strategy and Audit
'Open Spaces' are the open, usually green areas within and on the edges of settlements. They can include parks, gardens, playing fields, woodland, river corridors, play areas, amenity spaces, allotments and civic space.
Aberdeen City's Open Space Strategy sets out a new vision and aims to improve the quality of our open spaces in the City. There is growing evidence that quality and accessible open spaces contribute towards improving health, economy, environment and well being. It promotes sustainable development and helps in mitigating the impacts of climate change such as flooding and air pollution and provide green networks by linking various habitats benefiting biodiversity.
The Strategy is based on the results of the city wide open space audit conducted in 2010 and has been prepared involving communities, businesses, residents and partner organisations. The high level strategic aims and objectives provide opportunities for everyone to help contribute towards improving the quality of life in the city through its various actions.
The Strategy aims to provide attractive and appealing places throughout the city, particularly in those areas identified by the open space audit as low in quality. However within a context of serious financial constraint, it promotes innovative and radical ways of maintaining and managing these open spaces.
The Strategy shows a commitment to promoting and maintaining our high quality environment and making Aberdeen a better place for current and future generations to live, work, invest and study in.
The adopted Open Space Strategy 2011-2016 and Open Space Audit Report 2010 are now available to download here:
- Open Space Strategy 2011-2016
- Open Space Audit 2010 Report
- Open Space Supplementary Guidance
- Open Space Strategy Monitoring Report 2011-13
The Green Space Network information is available here:
- Aberdeen Heritage Trails
- Aberdeen In Bloom
- Animal Welfare Policy
- Coastal and Marine Environment
- Core Paths Plan
- Country Parks/Countryside Ranger Service
- Cycling in Aberdeen
- Local Transport Strategy
- Outdoor Access
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Planning and Sustainable Development
- Torry Heritage Trails
- WalkIt Aberdeen
- Your Environment
- Aberdeen Greenspace Trust
- Dee Catchment Partnership
- East Grampian Coastal Partnership
- Greenspace Scotland
- Historic Scotland
- North East Scotland Biological Records Centre (NESBReC)
- North East Scotland Local Biodiversity Action Plan
- Scotlandís Environmental and Rural Services
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Scottish Government - Countryside, National Parks and Natural Heritage
- Scottish Natural Heritage
- Scottish Outdoor Access Code
If you require further information, please contact us.
- Aftab Majeed
Planning and Sustainable Development
Enterprise, Planning and Infrastructure
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 4
Ground Floor North
Tel: 01224 523464
Fax: 01224 523180