Aberdeen City War Memorials
The list below is not a definitive list of information and should only be seen as a start to the history of War Memorials in Aberdeen. Other memorials are also listed that may be of interest. It should also be noted that some of these may not be readily accessible to the public. Also some sites may not be suitable for access by people with mobility difficulties.
The information is from a variety of sources including the Aberdeen City Archives, the Local Studies section of the Central Library, Aberdeen Maritime Museum, University of Aberdeen, Historic Environment Scotland, the UK National Inventory of War Memorials, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and War Memorials Online.
Aberdeen City War Memorial
The War Memorial and Cowdray Hall is the City of Aberdeen's memorial to the fallen of both World Wars. Designed by Dr. A. Marshall Mackenzie and Son. The lion sculpture was designed by William MacMillan, A.R.A. It was sculpted in Kemnay granite by lead mason James Philip, assisted by George Cooper.
- Location: Schoolhill and Blackfriars Street, AB10 1JQ.
Aberdeen Dock Labourers Memorial
(Left) This is a granite memorial in two panels: the upper, divided into columns, bears the names, initials and units of those who fell during World War One. The lower panel bears the rank, names and units of men who gave their lives in World War Two.
Location: Pocra Quay, Footdee, AB11 5DQ.
Aberdeen Granite Works
This is located in a wall of the former Aberdeen Granite Works on the north side of Constitution Street adjacent to the bridge over the railway line from Kittybrewster to Waterloo Quay. It is a granite memorial with ranks, Christian names, surnames with ages and units of those who fell in the First World War.
- Location: Constitution Street, AB24 5ET.
This is located in the north half of the cemetery between Allenvale Road and the Deeside Railway walkway in a grassed area facing south-east. It is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission memorial. There are four granite panels on each side, separated centrally by a large broad incised cross. In each of the panels are the names, dates of birth, service number, rank, units and dates of death of those who fell in the First World War.
Location: Allenvale Road, AB10 7FF.
The fallen of the two World Wars and one from the Korean War are remembered by a memorial and a bench seat with plaque. The former consists of a granite pillar with at the foot a lion's head well over a trough. The second memorial, erected by the Denmore Scottish Women's Rural Institute, takes the form of a granite and wooden seat.
- Location: Ellon Road and Balgownie Road, Bridge of Don, AB23 8ED.
This is on the Forrit Brae to Kingswells/Blackburn road. At the summit of Brimmond Hill (265 metres), which lies to the north-west of the City in Brimmond Country Park. The access is by a surfaced narrow pathway from a car park situated some three hundred metres west of Ashtown Farm. The memorial is a cast iron pillar supporting a bronze mountain indicator situated in the middle of a circular stone enclosure, which also serves as a seat. It defines all the major landmarks to the north, west and south which can be viewed from Brimmond Hill.
Location: Newhills, AB15 8RQ.
This memorial is constructed of granite and consists of a tapered triangular pillar resting on a circular stepped base. Rising from the pillar is an octagonal shaft surmounted by a lion and shield. The panels below the shaft are inscribed with the names of the fallen of both World Wars. The Memorial garden was created by the Beacon Gardening Club with the help of various sponsors and children from local schools with a wrought ironwork banner, a cross and plaque from the local schools.
- Location: Kepplehills Road and Inverurie Road, AB21 9DG.
Duthie Park (Gordon Highlanders Pillar)
This is located approximately sixty metres northwards from the west entrance gate at Great Southern Road. This memorial of 1892 to 1898, consists of a triangular granite pillar and rises to a platform on top of which there is a bronze angel holding on high a laurel wreath. Beneath the angel is depicted in relief the Regimental Badge of the Gordon Highlanders. The Aberdeen Volunteers are also commemorated.
- Location: Great Southern Road, AB11 7BH.
Duthie Park (Gordon Highlanders Cross)
This is situated in a shrubbed area beside a pathway near the Winter Gardens, about eighty-five metres south of the entrance from Polmuir Road. This granite memorial 1882 and 1884, takes the form of an Celtic cross supported by an tapered pillar, the base of which is surrounded by rough-hewn boulders. On the front, just below the cross, is depicted a badge similar to that on the Gordon Highlanders' other memorial in Duthie Park with the St. Andrew's Cross, wreath of thistles and the Sphinx and Royal Tiger.
Location: Polmuir Road, AB11 7TH.
Dyce (Chapel of St. Fergus)
This is located in the extended area to the old cemetery at the former Chapel of St. Fergus which is situated on the road from Pitmedden Road to Mill of Dyce. The monument, in an area maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission is a granite octagonal cross with an inlaid bronze sword pointing down. The cemetery contains mainly Air Force personnel from many countries including the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Poland. The most recent headstones are dated 1952 and 1955 including a memorial to a member of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force. There is also a section along the south-east wall for Luftwaffe Pilots and aircrew who died in the area.
Location: Chapel of St. Fergus, off Pitmedden Road, AB21 0HA.
Dyce (Gordon Terrace)
This is situated at the junction of Gordon Terrace and Netherview Road, east of Victoria Street. The memorial to the fallen of both World Wars stands on a plain stepped base set into an oval platt and protected with four hexagonal tapered bollards of grey granite.
- Location: Gordon Terrace, AB21 7BB.
There are two War Memorial windows relating to the First World War and War Memorials with names of those from two previous Ferryhill Congregations (Ferryhill North and Ferryhill South) who lost their lives in both World Wars. The Memorial covering the two wars of the 51st Highland Division (Signals) is also in the Church having been previously in the former Fonthill Barracks. These Memorial plaques are contained within the Memorial Chapel. There is also the Piper Alpha Memorial Window, designed and gifted by Jayne Bayliss, the stained glass artist of Fintray.
Location: Fonthill Road and Polmuir Road, AB11 6UD.
South-east of of the junction with New Pier Road. The memorial consists of a simple tapered granite obelisk mounted on a series of stepped square bases orientated to the compass points. This memorial was erected to those who fell in both World Wars. The services listed are the Army, Royal Air Force, Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, United States Navy and United States Air Force in the Second World War. Members of the Civic Defence are also commemorated.
- Location: Pocra Quay, AB11 5DQ.
Holburn Central Church
This memorial takes the form of six stained glass windows in the church and a plaque on the outside wall of the church and was erected in 1903 to those who fell in the South African War 1899-1902.
Location: Holburn Street, AB10 6BT.
King's College Chapel
The Antechapel is Aberdeen University's War Memorial. Five hundred and twenty-four members of the University are commemorated on the panelling around the walls. The War Memorial Window was made by Douglas Strachan in 1920-1. The Merson Memorial Window in the Antechapel was designed by William Wilson and dedicated to Captain William Murison Smith Merson of the Gordon Highlanders who was killed in France in 1916.
- Location: College Bounds, Old Aberdeen, AB24 3SW.
The memorial is in Kemnay granite, comprises a simple stepped square base with a pillar bearing the names of the fallen on three sides, north, east and west. Surmounting this is a plain column 'broken' at the head of which is a sculpted laurel wreath facing to the north.
- Location: Old Skene Road, AB15 8QA.
This memorial is in two separate parts, to the left of the main entrance. The first granite panel is to those who fell in the First World War with names and units. The second granite panel is to those who fell in the Second World War with names and units.
Location: Great Western Road, AB10 6UZ.
In the cemetery, seven metres from the entrance gate to Wellington Road. This memorial takes the form of a Kemnay granite obelisk. On the panels of the memorial are recorded the names and places of origin of those who fell in both World Wars. There are no references to ranks or units, only to farms or districts in the immediate area: Abbotswell, Altens, Burnbanks, Charleston, Cove Bay, Kincorth, Kirkhill, Kirkton, Leggart, Loirston, Parkhead and Tullos. Names of the First World War fallen are on the upper part of the memorial with the Second World War casualties below. There are also several Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstones elsewhere in the cemetery.
- Location: Nigg Kirk Road, AB12 3DA.
On a hillock to the west of Peterculter reached by a path ascending from North Deeside Road, approximately sixty metres to the west of the bridge over the Culter Burn. An crenellated tower, built of granite rubble with rough-hewn quoins on a rubble plinth. There are four granite tablets, one on each face of the tower, which record the names of the fallen. The tablets bear the names, ranks and units including Canadian formations of those who fell in both World Wars.
Location: North Deeside Road, Peterculter, AB14 0LN.
Ruthrieston South Church
This memorial takes the form of two granite panels. The uppermost to those who fell in the First World War. There follows the roll of honour of Christian names and surnames, but no reference to ranks or units. On the lower panel there are similarly recorded those who gave their lives in the Second World War.
- Location: Holburn Street, AB10 7LH.
Saint Machar's Cathedral
There are various memorials of the congregation of St Machar and St. Mary who died in the two World Wars. There is also a stained glass window. The First World War memorial to the St. Machar Parishioners lists names with their rank and the year of their death. Similarly the United Free Church Parishoners memorial previously located in St. Mary's United Free Church in Old Aberdeen, the First World War fallen lists names with ranks and the year of their death. Captain John Eugene Crombie, is remembered by a plaque.
Location: The Chanonry, Old Aberdeen, AB24 1RQ.
Saint Mary's Cathedral
A teak crucifix on a granite plinth, inscribed in Latin and with the names of those who fell in both World Wars.
- Location: Huntly Street, AB10 1SH.
Saint Nicholas Kirk
Considered the 'Mither Kirk' of Aberdeen, this Kirk holds various memorials including War Memorials and the oil industry's North Sea Memorial
- Location: Union Street, Back Wynd and Schoolhill, AB10 1JZ.
Saint Peter's Cemetery
Commonwealth War Graves War Memorial cross to those who fell in the First World War and lie buried in the cemetery, of whom three have no separate headstone.
Location: King Street, AB24 3BX.
Spanish Civil War Memorial (Music Hall)
In the foyer, this bronze plaque commemorates those from Aberdeen who fought to defend democracy in the Spanish Civil War. It has the names who served and those that fell, with where they fell, during the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939.
Location: Music Hall, Union Street, AB10 1QS.
Adjacent to the main entrance at the east end of Stoneywood Terrace. The memorial takes the form of two bronze panels. At the top there is a circular panel bearing the coat of arms of the Company - Alex Pirie and Sons. The top panel for those who fell in the First World War and the second panel for those who fell in the Second World War.
- Location: Stoneywood Terrace, AB21 9HX.
Trinity Cemetery (CWGC Cross)
In the west part of the cemetery, a Commonwealth War Graves Commission Memorial cross to those who fell in the First World War. It is a Portland stone cross with a surrounding granite plinth.
Location: Park Road, AB24 5PP.
Trinity Cemetery (CWGC Wall)
In the west part of the cemetery, a Commonwealth War Graves Commission Memorial wall to those who fell in the First World War. It is made of Kemnay granite with bronze inscribed plaques.
Trinity Cemetery (Royal British Legion Tablet)
In the east part of the cemetery, there is a British Legion War Memorial with the legion badge above the inscription, it is a rectangular granite stone tablet on granite plinth.
Trinity Cemetery (Mr and Mrs Cooper)
In the west part of the cemetery, a First World War Memorial presented by Mr and Mrs Cooper to the Aberdeen Naval Authorities to commemorate fallen naval personnel. A granite panel with granite surrounds and plinth.
Back to the Historic Environment page.