Aberdeen City Memorials
The list below is not a definitive list of information and should only be seen as a start to the history of Memorials in Aberdeen. It should also be noted that some of these may not be readily accessible to the public. Also some sites may not be suitable for access by people with mobility difficulties.
The information is from a variety of sources including the Aberdeen City Archives, the Local Studies section of the Central Library, Aberdeen Maritime Museum, University of Aberdeen and Historic Environment Scotland.
Piper Alpha Memorial Window (Ferryhill Church)
There is the Piper Alpha Memorial Window, designed and gifted by Jayne Bayliss, the stained glass artist of Fintray. There are War Memorials windows and War Memorials in the Church.
Location: Fonthill Road and Polmuir Road, AB11 6UD.
The Harlaw Monument, though in Aberdeenshire Council's area, is cared for by Aberdeen City Council. The monument was inaugurated in July 1914. Site of the Battle of Harlaw, in which Donald, Lord of the Isles was defeated by the Earl of Mar on 24 July 1411. It was erected by the Burgh of Aberdeen to celebrate the 500th anniversary.
- Location: Near Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
- Harlaw Monument Memorial Location Map
McGrigor Memorial (Duthie Park)
This is situated beside the south pathway near Riverside Drive. This pink granite obelisk, is on a square-plan base and plinth with a recessed granite panel with the inscription to Sir James McGrigor. The Obelisk was built to honour the memory of Sir James, who was Director-General of the Army medical department for 36 years, and Lord Rector of Marischal College. There are other memorials in the Duthie Park including 2 to the Gordon Highlanders.
- Location: Riverside Drive, AB11 7TH.
Piper Alpha Memorial (Hazlehead Park)
The memorial to the men killed in the Piper Alpha disaster on 6 July 1988 is found in the Queen Mother's Rose Garden in Hazlehead Park and was unveiled by her in 1991. There is also the Piper Alpha Window in Ferryhill Church, on the corner of Fonthill Road and Polmuir Road.
- Location: Hazlehead Park, Hazlehead Avenue, AB15 8BD.
Oil Industry North Sea Memorial (Saint Nicholas Kirk)
Considered the 'Mither Kirk' of Aberdeen, this Kirk holds oil industry's North Sea Memorial and War Memorials.
- Location: Union Street, Back Wynd and Schoolhill, AB10 1JZ.
Seafarers Memorial, Torry
Overlooking Aberdeen Harbour, adjacent to the Torry Battery there is a simple steel cross set into a cairn. Though this is not a War Memorial, it is considered to be for seafarers lost at sea, whether by accident or conflict.
- Location: Greyhope Road, Balnagask, Torry, AB11 9QY.
University of Aberdeen's Anatomy Memorial
The Anatomy Memorial is located in an elevated position in the north-east corner of Trinity Cemetery, as part of the burial plot for those who donated their bodies for anatomical study and expressed a wish for their remains to be buried. This memorial honours those who have helped medicine.
- Location: Trinity Cemetery, Park Road, AB24 5PP.
The black granite memorial pillar was commissioned by Aberdeen Trades Council. It is dedicated to all those who have lost their lives in industry. The garden was opened by Lord Provost Margaret Farquhar on 19 July 1997 as part of the S.T.U.C Centenary 1897-1997 and in commemoration of Workers Memorial Day held on 28 April every year.
Location: Persley Walled Garden, Mugiemoss Road, AB21 9WH.
Back to the Aberdeen City War Memorials home page.