In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Content Related Links
- Aberdeen City Doors Open Day
- Historic Gardens and Designed Landscapes
- Listed Buildings
- Aberdeen City War Memorials
- Archaeological Unit - advice and information
Conservation building guidance
Conservation Area Guidance and Advice
Public Consultation on Conservation Areas
We are currently consulting on the review of the City's conservation areas and for further information please see the following link:
Conservation areas are designated by the planning authority as being areas of special architectural or historical interest.
Conservation areas are areas of special character or appearance, which it is desirable to preserve or enhance. The City's conservation areas have additional planning controls (Article 4 Directions) to ensure that the special character of the area is preserved and enhanced. Conservation areas are designated and afforded statutory protection under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
There are currently eleven in Aberdeen ranging from Union Street and the City Centre to fishing villages. In conservation areas there are additional controls over alterations to buildings and planning permission is required if such alterations are considered to affect the character of the area. Trees in conservation area are also protected.
We are committed to producing appraisals for all of Aberdeens conservation area. These identify the elements that contribute to the character of each individual area. In addition, we publish guidance on various issues affecting conservation areas, for example replacement windows. Maps of all the Citys conservation areas are available below in .pdf format and make take some time to open.
Sometimes grants are available in conservation areas from the Aberdeen City Heritage Trust and details are available from us or:
Conservation Area boundary maps
- Conservation Area 1: Old Aberdeen
- Conservation Area 2: Union Street
- Conservation Area 3: Bon-Accord/Crown Street
- Conservation Area 4: Albyn Place/Rubislaw
- Conservation Area 5: Marine Terrace
- Conservation Area 6: Footdee (or "Fittie")
- Conservation Area 7: Great Western Road
- Conservation Area 8: Cove Bay
- Conservation Area 9: Ferryhill
- Conservation Area 10: Pitfodels
- Conservation Area 11: Rosemount/Westburn
- Conservation Areas Map
It is the intention to add more information concerning each Conservation Area with as part of the Aberdeen Local Development Plan to update the information in previous reports and appraisals. For further information on some of the Conservation Areas please see the links below:
- Conservation Area 1 - Old Aberdeen
- Conservation Area 2 - Union Street
- Conservation Area 6 - Footdee (or "Fittie")
- Conservation Area 10 - Pitfodels
- Conservation Area 11 - Rosemount and Westburn
Conservation Area checklist
- Find out if you live in a conservation area by contacting us.
- Find out if you live in a listed building by contacting us or checking Historic Scotland's website: Historic Scotland - Listed Buildings Search
- If you are considering carrying out work on your property (however minor) check with us whether:
- a planning application is required;
- listed building consent is required;
- conservation area consent is required;
- advertisement consent is required;
- planning guidance exists on the work you are considering, e.g. replacement doors and windows or satellite antennae;
- financial assistance is available;
- a conservation area appraisal exists that can guide change; and
- a building warrant is required
Back to Masterplanning, Design and Conservation page.