Content Related Links
Civil Marriage and Weddings
Firstly let us congratulate you on your forthcoming wedding!
Our Registrars Service arranges Civil Marriage ceremonies at a number of locations in Aberdeen - including, on Fridays and Saturdays, in the city's historic Town House. The Registrars' offices provide guidance and forms for those interested in having a Civil Marriage ceremony.
Getting married is possibly the most important and exciting occasion in any couples life however, it can also be the most stressful time for all those involved.
We hope these pages can help to make life a little easier by providing you with information on how to book a civil marriage ceremony. Included here is information on how to go about visiting the marriage rooms, and contact details of Registrar staff who can give you further advice.
Good luck with your arrangements and thank you for visiting our pages.
Use the navigation to the right to view our various venues and other information.
How to Make a Booking.
To make a booking, you first need to decide on a wedding date and choose from the rooms available or the licensed venues available. Don't forget you can visit the Grant Room at Marischal College by contacting the Registrars on 01224 522616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Town Sergeants on 01224 522544 or 522543 to view the rooms available in the Town House.
Once you have decided on where and when you would like to get married you can make a booking with a Registrar, either by calling the office on 01224 522616 or visiting our office in Marischal College.
There is a £25 non-refundable and non-transferrable deposit to pay to secure the date and time for your wedding being conducted by a Registrar. This deposit can be paid either in person or over the phone with a credit or debit card.
What forms you need to submit.
For all marriages occurring in Scotland, the Statutory Marriage Notice Form (M10) must be submitted to the appropriate Registrar's Office in the district of where you are getting married, no later than 15 days before the ceremony. The forms can be submitted up to 3 months before the ceremony. These forms can be obtained from any Scottish Registration Office or you can download a copy of them here - Marriage Notice Form. Please note, the bride and groom are required to fill out one marriage notice form each.
We also require you to fill out our Marriage Registration Form, which gives us the names of your two witnesses (including any middle names) and also their home addresses. Your witnesses can be anyone, so long as they are over the age of 16 years and can fully understand and converse in English.
What other documents do I need to submit?
At the time of submitting your Marriage Notice Forms we are also required to see the following documents.
- If you were born in the UK and are unmarried - We are required to see the original of your birth certificate. You are also required to prove your nationality, anyone born after the 1st January 1983 we are also required to see your valid passport if you have one. If you do not have a valid passport we are required to see your mother's birth certificate.
- If you were born in the UK but have been married or in a Registered Civil Partnership before we are required to see your original decree of divorce or dissolution. If you are widowed, we must see the death certificate of your late spouse.
- If were born outside the UK, we must see your valid passport and where appropriate your visa.
- If you were born outside the UK and have been permanently residing the UK for less than 2 years, you may be required to get a Certificate of No Impediment. For more information about this, please contact the Registrars on either 01224 522616 or email email@example.com .
- If you were divorce outside the UK we must see the original of the divorce and translation if not issued in English. Depending on the country the divorce was finalised you may also be required to complete a Foreign Divorce Questionnaire. For more information about this, please contact the Registrars on either 01224 522616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
What are the fees?
If you are to be married by anyone other than a Registrar the fee you pay to us is £70, this covers the fee to give notice of marriage (£30 each) and a certificate of marriage.
If your ceremony is being conducted by a Registrar, the cost will depend on where and when you are getting married. Please see our Marriage Fees for more information.
For all ceremonies you will be requested to pay the full balance of marriage fees when you complete and submit your marriage notice forms and documentation.
If your wedding is cancelled, only part of the fees are refundable. The Registrar will arrange for reimbursement to be made to you and transferred into your bank account.
If you have any questions about anything above, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Registrars' Office: Marischal College
Aberdeen AB10 1AB
Tel: 01224 522616 (Monday -Friday 08:30-17:00)
Fax: 01224 346011