How can we help you...

Amending Forenames and Surnames

Recording changes of forename(s) and surname(s)

Who may apply to record a change of name?

Any person whose birth is registered in Scotland or who was legally adopted in Scotland may apply for a recorded change of name.  If the person is under 16 years of age, the application must be made by a qualified applicant who is defined as follows:

  • (a) where only one parent has parental responsibilities in relation to the child, that parent;
  • (b) where both parents have such responsibilities in relation to the child, both parents; and
  • (c) where neither parent has such responsibilities, any other person who has such responsibilities

If the person is over 16 years of age, they must apply on their own behalf.

How do I go about it?

You will need to complete an application form and may find it helpful to go to the General Register Office for Scotland for further information and for documents you can download.

How much will this cost me?

The current fee is 40.  For family applications, the fee is 40 for the first family member and 10 for each subsequent family member when applied for at the same time. The cost of a full birth extract or abbreviated certificate is 15 with a further 10 payable for each additional extract of the same entry ordered at the same time.

Back to the Registrars.