Content Related Links
- Application Fees
- Application for a Taxi Driver Licence
- Evidence to Support your right to work in the UK
- How to become a Taxi or Private Hire Car Driver Guidance Note
- Medical Exemption Policy and Procedure for Taxi and Private Hire Car Drivers for Wheelchair Passengers
- Medical Exemption Policy and Procedure for Taxi and Private Hire Car Drivers for carrying Assistance Dogs
- Street Knowledge Test Guidance Note
- Taxi Driver Conditions
Licensing - Taxi Driver Licence
In terms of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982, Aberdeen City Council requires all vehicles operating as a Taxi or a Private Hire Car to be licensed. Drivers of these vehicles also require to hold a separate Taxi or Private Hire Car Driver's Licence.
EVIDENCE OF RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN THE UK
From 1 December 2016, the Council has a statutory duty under the Immigration Act 2016 to check and verify that every applicant has the right to live in the UK and work as a taxi driver or private hire car driver. This check must be carried out irrespective of the nationality or ethnicity of the applicant.
As part of the application process you must provide certain documents to evidence your right to live and work in the UK. If you cannot provide the required evidence your application cannot be granted. The types of document that can be accepted as evidence have been prescribed by the Home Office; the Council does not have discretion to accept documents other than those specified by the Home Office.
The document - Evidence to Support your Right to Work in the UK provides detailed guidance on this check. Please ensure you have read and understood this before submitting your application.
These checks apply to all applications including applications for renewal of existing licences. If an existing licence holder cannot provide the necessary evidence, their licence cannot be renewed.
Should you wish to lodge a complaint regarding taxis or private hire cars please contact the Litigation and Licensing Team, Legal and Democratic Services, Corporate Governance, Aberdeen City Council, Business Hub 6, Level 1 South, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AB or e-mail: email@example.com
Back to the Licensing home page.
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 6 L1S
Phone: (01224) 522878 or 522879
Frequently Asked Questions
- As a taxi driver, can I pick up passengers anywhere?
- Can I get a temporary taxi driver's licence?
- Do I have to have a normal driver's licence before I can apply for a taxi driver's licence?
- How can I apply for a licence?
- How long are taxi and private hire drivers licences valid for?
- How long does it take to get a licence?
- How much does it cost to get a Licence?
- If I am applying for a taxi licence, will the council ask the police about me?
- What conditions are attached to a taxi licence?
- What fares can I charge my taxi passengers?
- What is the difference between a Vehicle and a Driver's licence?
- Who decides whether or not I can have a licence?