Content Related Links
- Application Fees
- Application for Grant/Renewal of Special Events PHC Licence (Company)
- Application for Material Change (manager)
- Application for Special Events PHC Licence
- Application for the Grant/Renewal of a Private Hire Car Licence - Individual
- Application for the Grant/Renewal of a Private Hire Car Licence Company or Partnership
- Application to Substitue a Vehicle
- CCTV Policy
- Conditions attached to a Private Hire Car Licence
- Licensing of Limousines and Drivers - Guidance Note
Licensing - Private Hire Car Licence
In terms of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982, Aberdeen City Council requires all vehicles operating as a Taxi or a Private Hire Car to be licensed. Drivers of these vehicles also require to hold a separate Taxi or Private Hire Car Driver's Licence.
There are two categories of vehicle currently licensed by the City of Aberdeen Council:
- Taxis and,
- Private Hire Cars (PHCs).
Private Hire Cars (PHC)
There are approximately 210 private hire cars in Aberdeen. These vehicles do not carry roof signs and have a red identification plate at the rear and a smaller red identification plate at the front.
Private hire cars cannot be hailed on the street or collect passengers at taxi ranks and must be pre booked.
On 6 June 2012, the Licensing Committee set a limit on the number of Taxi licences in Aberdeen. The limit is set at 1049. Anyone wishing to apply for a Taxi Licence will require to register their interest in writing only using the Form of Registration of Interest and should refer to the Guidance Note - Applications for the Grant of Taxi Licences.
Taxis bears a numbered identification plate at the rear. The majority of these rear plates are yellow and are for City zoned taxis. About 147 vehicles bear a green plate and are airport zoned taxis. Approximately 48% of taxis are wheelchair accessible vehicles.
Taxis can be hailed on the street or at taxi ranks. They can also be pre-booked
All taxis and most private hire cars carry calibrated taximeters and the maximum fare that can be charged for a journey within Aberdeen is set out in the Taxi Fare Tariff set by the Licensing Committee. A copy of the Tariff is available in each vehicle for the information of the travelling public.
Fares are calculated using a calibrated meter according to the City of Aberdeen approved tariff. PHCs with a meter may charge less than the approved fare table indicates. For taxi journeys outside of Aberdeen, or PHCs without a meter, the fare must be negotiated before the journey commences.
All taxis and private hire cars must be driven by licensed drivers.
Should you wish to lodge a complaint regarding taxis or private hire cars please contact the Litigation and Licensing Team, Legal and Democratic Services, Corporate Governance, Aberdeen City Council, Business Hub 6, Level 1 South, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to the Licensing home page.
Aberdeen City Council
Business Hub 6 L1S
Phone: 01224 522879 or 522878
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to have a normal driver's licence before I can apply for a taxi driver's licence?
- How can I apply for a licence?
- How long are taxi and private hire operator licences valid for?
- How long does it take to get a licence?
- How much does it cost to get a Licence?
- What geographic area does a taxi licence cover?
- Who decides whether or not I can have a licence?