How can we help you...

Content Related Links

Download Documents

     Get Adobe Reader

Related Links

External Links

Licensing - Approved Place for Civil Marriages

Licence Summary

EUGO logo

If you wish to offer marriages or civil ceremonies at your premises or vessel, your premises or vessel must be registered with your local authority.

Applications may be for permanent or temporary approval.

You must comply with conditions attached to an approval.

Hotels, country houses etc can apply for a period approval which, if granted, lasts for 3 years. Couples can apply for temporary approval at a place of their choice.  For further information please contact the Licensing Section.

Regulation Summary

The Marriage (Approval of Places) (Scotland) Regulations 2002

An application fee is payable (see downloadable forms).The application must be in writing (including by electronic means) and include the name and address of the applicant and a description of the place or, for vessels, the intended position of the vessel in sufficient detail to allow a local authority inspection. Public notice will be given and any objections by the public must be considered.

Application Evaluation Process

Approval will not be granted if:

  • the application is not in the correct format
  • the place or vessel would compromise the solemnity and dignity of civil marriage
  • the place is in religious premises
  • the place or vessel is deemed unsuitable

The local authority must have regard to the guidance issued by the Registrar General.

The applicant must be a fit and proper person.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.

Apply Online

You are now able to apply for this service using the ELMS portal system supplied by the UK Government's Department for Business Innovation and Skills. Please click on the link, on the right,if you wish to use this facility.

Failed Application Redress

You have the right of appeal to the sheriff against a refusal of the application.

If you have had an application refused the local authority will not consider another application in respect of the same place or vessel within one year unless there has been a material change of circumstance.


If you object to an application for approval you may give notice to the local authority within 21 days from the date on which public notice was given.

Licence Holder Redress

If your approval is revoked, suspended or varied you will be given the opportunity to be heard by the local authority. You also have the right of appeal to the sheriff.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the licence holder - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK,  will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations 


Back to the Licensing home page.


  • Bill Gordon
    Administrative Assistant
    Legal and Democratic Services
    Corporate Governance
    Aberdeen City Council
    Business Hub 6 L1S
    Marischal College
    AB10 1AQ
    Phone: 01224 522377
    Fax: 01224 522491