How can we help you...

Private Landlord Registration

To find out more about the Landlord Registration Scheme, please follow the links on this page.

How do I register?

  • 1. You can apply online by visiting the Landlord Registration website. By choosing this method you will receive a 10% discount on your registration fees.  Please note fees are payable at the time of application and must be made electronically.  IMPORTANT! Before making your online application you should read the 'ABOUT' Section (Pink Box) on the Home Page of the National Website as it provides all relevant details on the Registration Scheme as well as guidelines on how to use the website. Please keep the user name and password the system emails to you in a safe place as you will be required to use it in order to log into your registration details.
  • 2. Download a copy of the Landlord Registration Application Form.  Alternatively you can request a paper application by contacting the Landlord Registration Team. Please note: If choosing this application method you must include a cheque for payment of the registration fees together with the paper application form. 
  • 3. For additional properties, download the Additional Properties Form

IMPORTANT!  Please do not use the address of the property you are intending to rent out as your contact address. This will result in any correspondence we send to you being returned marked addressee has gone away.

Please note: the Landlord Registration Application form is 1.31MB so may take a few minutes to download on slower computers.

How do I contact Landlord Registration?

You can reach Private Landlord Registration by contacting:

  • Private Landlord Registration
    Communities, Housing and Infrastructure
    Business Hub 1, Lower Ground FLoor West
    Marischal College
    Broad Street
    Aberdeen AB10 1AB
    Telephone: 03000 200 292 (If dialling from outside the United Kingdom, dial 44 first)
  • Office Hours:
    Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm


What happens after I am registered?

Once your registration is approved, it will be valid for three years from the approval date. You will receive an approval letter with an attachment showing your registration details. The approval letter is the most important document you will receive as it is proof you hold a valid registration. It must be filed in a safe place together with your user credentials for future reference. If you have provided an email address at the time of application, the user credentials will be sent to you directly from Landlord Registration Scotland (No Reply) if you have provided an email address at the time of application. If you have not provided an email address the user credentials will be sent by standard mail. If you use an agent to manage your property you should provide them with a copy of the approval letter for their records. The registration number is purely a reference number and NOT proof of valid registration.

In accordance with the Legislation for the Regulation of Private Landlords under the Antisocial Behaviour etc (Scotland) Act 2004 all landlords have a legal obligation and responsibility to maintain their registration details and keep them current at all times. They must also notify the Local Authority (in writing or by email) of any change in circumstance (e.g. change of address, adding or deleting properties, no longer practicing as a landlord). Failure to do so is an offence under the act.

It is the Local Authority's legal obligation to maintain the Register and to provide advice and assistance relevant to the registration scheme. It is not the Local Authority's responsibility to maintain landlords' registration details.

Commencement of Section 11 of the Homelessness (Scotland) Act 2003

From April 1 2009, landlords and creditors will have a new duty to inform the relevant Local Authority when they raise proceedings for possession of a property or serve certain notices relating to a mortgage. This is to give local authorities early notice of households who may be at risk of homelessness due to eviction.

Landlords are required by law to serve a two month written notice for possession of a property.

Regulations prescribing the form and manner have been laid in Parliament.

The Housing Advice team is available from the Marischal College Customer Service Centre. Alternatively you can contact them as follows:


Energy Performance Certificates

From 4 January 2009 Energy Performance Certificates will be required for all new tenancies in Scotland.

An EPC will provide information on the energy efficiency of a property and must be carried out by a qualified EPC surveyor.

The Scottish Government has published an EPC information sheet for private landlords giving current available information on EPCs for the private rented market.  It can be accessed via the following link:

Boiler and Gas Appliances

It is mandatory to fit a condensing model when replacing or fitting a new gas or oil-fired boiler. For more information on Building Regulations go to

From April 1st 2009 Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI Gas registration as the official gas safety body therefore by law, only Gas Safe Registered Engineers should carry out work on gas appliances or installations in your property. If someone other than a Gas Safe Registered Engineer does the gas work in your property, you could be risking peoples lives.

To find a Gas Safe Registered Engineer visit or telephone 0800 408 5500.
National Grid (Formerly Transco) Tel: 0800 111 999


A landlord is required to take all reasonable steps to ensure that all electrical installations and appliances supplied as part of the let are safe for use and do not threaten the health or safety of people in and around the premises or become a source of fire.

Good Practice Measures

Have a qualified electrician carry out:

  • An annual Portable Appliance Test (PAT)
  • A regular check of electrical wiring circuits and mains board (Periodic Inspection Report or PIR).

For further information contact the Electrical Safety Council: Tel: 0870 040 0561 Website:


All furnishings and furniture supplied as part of the let must comply with relevant parts of the Furniture & Furnishings (fire) (Safety) Regulations.

The Repairing Standard

A landlord has a duty to repair and maintain the property at the start of the tenancy, and at all times during the tenancy.

The landlord must on or before the start of the tenancy provide the tenant with written information about the effect of the Repairing Standard in relation to the tenancy and how to approach the Private Rented Housing Panel (PRHP).

Related Links

Back to the Private Housing home page.

Get Adobe ReaderThis page contains links to PDF documents. These documents can be opened using Adobe Reader which is free to download from the Adobe website.