How to terminate your tenancy
Your tenancy agreement can be ended in any one of the following ways:
- You, together with any other joint tenant(s) give us at least four weeks written notice. You must tell us at the same time if you are married or if you live in the house with another person as your partner. If you do, their agreement may also be required.
Aberdeen City Council tenancies run on a week to week basis from Monday to Sunday, the termination date will be the Sunday after the 28 day notice period.
By Written Agreement:
- By written agreement between you, any joint tenant(s) and us. You must tell us at the same time if you are married or if you live in the house with another person as your partner. If you do, their agreement may also be required.
Termination forms can be completed at any local area office or at Marischal College.
Advice on moving out of your property:
As part of your current tenancy agreement, you should do the following when preparing to leave the property:
- Leave the house and in a clean and tidy condition;
- Remove all your belongings;
- Make sure any lodgers or sub-tenants leave with you;
- Allow us access to your house before you move out, at reasonable times, to show new tenants round and to carry out a pre vacation inspection;
- Hand in your keys to the housing office;
- Remove any fixtures and fittings you have installed without written permission and put right any damage caused;
- Check with us to make sure you have paid all payments due to us;
- *Apply for any compensation you may be entitled to;
- Leave the house in good decorative order;
- Do the repairs you are obliged to do;
- Give us a forwarding address.
*If you have made alterations or improvements with our permission, you may be entitled to compensation at the end of your tenancy under regulations governing such arrangements. We also have the power, even if you do not qualify under these regulations, to make a discretionary payment.
Pre vacation Inspection:
After you have submitted your intention to terminate, staff from our housing and/or property team will visit your home and provide information on vacating your house.
All keys, including those for cellars, bin stores and window lock keys, etc, must be returned to the Council by 12 noon on the day following the termination date. We have recorded how many keys were issued at the start of your tenancy. If you fail to return all keys which were issued to you at the start and during the tenancy we will change the locks and send you an invoice for the associated costs.
Changing the locks is our way of maximising the security of the new tenant.
Where applicable, laundry cards can be returned with the keys.
Gas and Electricity:
Any cards or keys can be left in the property.
Fixtures and Fittings:
All original fixtures and fittings should remain unless prior consent has been given for the removal or replacement.
If you need assistance with the removal of items form the property, the Council's Customer Service Advisors can advise on the options available. They can be contacted between 8a.m. 6p.m. (week days) on 08456 08 09 19. Residents who are in receipt of certain benefits are given a reduced rate for collections. Council tenants can arrange to have up to four items collected free of charge during a year running from April to April. Items which can be collected include: beds, mattresses, furniture, cookers and electrical items. The cost of a house clearance starts from £175. Other items such as carpets, sheds and greenhouses will be charged separately.
If your property is left in a poor condition or if it requires remedial works as a result of your occupation, you will be invoiced (or recharged) for the cost of putting things right.
You will also be charged if you leave household items and furnishings in the property.
There are two main charitable organisations operating in Aberdeen which will be happy to receive donations of suitable household furniture and white goods.
- Somebody Cares Warehouse,
80 Summerhill Road,
Tel: 01224 200 197
If you have furniture, food or other useful items you could donate, please drop it in to our depot, or call us on 01224 200 197 to arrange a collection.
Opening times: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 8.30 a.m. 4p.m. for drop offs. (Closed Tuesday)
- Instant Neighbour,
Instant Neighbour House
5 St Machar Drive
Tel: 01224 489 955
Please help them by donating:
- Double Beds
- Single Beds
- Single Wardrobes
- Chest of Drawers
- Bedside Cabinets
- Suites & Armchairs
- Coffee Tables
- Kitchen Tables and Chairs
- Dishes, Cutlery and Pans
Please note that all items of soft furniture must have the BS 7177 dated 1996 or beyond safety label attached. We are unable to accept any soft furniture without that label attached. This includes mattresses, sofas, chairs (including the padded seats of dining chairs), and suites.
They do not accept:
- Large wardrobes
- Display cabinets
- Large Dining Room Tables and Chairs
- TV and Video Units
Back to the Living in your Council Home home page.