How can we help you...

Council Housing Repairs and Improvements


Woman mowing lawn As a tenant of Aberdeen City Council, we are responsible for repairing and maintaining the structure of the property you live in.  This includes all pipes, wiring, fixtures and fittings for heating, drainage, power and lighting, all the external parts and any internal fixtures and fittings originally provided by us. We maintain all common areas and facilities in blocks of flats or maisonettes.  We also maintain communal gardens and open areas around our properties.

As a tenant, you also have certain general responsibilities:

  • To keep your property clean and in good decorative order
  • To keep your garden tidy
  • To take precautions to prevent damage once a repair fault has been identified and to report it to us promptly
  • To repair damage caused you, members of your household or any visitors
  • To maintain any appliances you have installed, e.g. fire, shower, cooker, etc.
  • To report any criminal damage or vandalism to the Police

How to report a council house repair

How to report a communal repair

  • Phone 03000 200 292 or
  • Click on Communal Lighting for repairs to communal lighting.

How to get energy advice

  • Phone the Energy Advice Line (run by the Energy Savings Scotland Advice Centre) on 0800 512 012.

Doing your own alterations and improvements

If you want to make alterations to your house yourself such as adding new fixtures and fittings, putting up a shed, decorating the outside of the house, you must contact us first to get written permission.

Council Planned Alterations and Improvements

All our properties are included in a rolling programme of housing improvements including painting and repair to the outside of the properties and major work such as replacement of windows, doors or central heating. 

Gas Safety Policy

The Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations places important duties on the Landlord of all properties to ensure that gas appliances are maintained in a safe condition and annual safety checks are carried out.. Please read our Gas Safety Policy for further details.

Garden Maintenance

The Garden Maintenance Scheme is a scheme run by Aberdeen City Council to assist the elderly, disabled and tenants who are medically unable to maintain their gardens.

Back to the Council Tenants home page.