How can we help you...

What are Aberdeen City Council's responsibilities as Landlord?

We are required to:

  • Provide you with a copy of your Tenancy Agreement which sets out all the terms and conditions of your tenancy in full, including the use of the house and common parts, respect for others, permissions and proposed changes or alterations, repairs and maintenance and any other general provisions.
  • Carry out a full maintenance inspection to the property prior to you moving in to ensure that it is wind and watertight and meets the appropriate letting standard for habitation. If repairs need to be done to bring the house up to that standard they will be done before your tenancy begins. Any works in addition to this will be done after you have moved in.
  • Repair and maintain the structure of the property you live in. This includes all pipes, wiring, fixtures and fittings for heating, drainage, power and lighting, all the external parts and any internal fixtures and fittings originally provided by us. We maintain all common areas and facilities in blocks of flats or maisonettes where the Council is the majority owner. We also maintain communal gardens and open areas around our properties. We are not obliged to carry out repairs which are due to willful damage or negligence by yourself or others in your property. In such circumstances you will be required to rectify any damage or will be recharged for the work by Aberdeen City Council.
  • Consider requests from you to make changes to your tenancy, including adding another person to your tenancy, taking in a lodger, sub letting or exchanging your property; carrying out internal alterations or improvements to your property; erecting or installing any external structures within the land pertaining to your property. We will advise you of our decision in writing within the timescales indicated in your Tenancy Agreement and will explain our reasons in full if permission refused.
  • Support you if you need help with any aspect of sustaining your tenancy using our Housing Support and Resettlement Service
  • Provide contact details of your designated Housing Officer so that you know who to contact in the event of any queries or difficulties relating to your tenancy.


Back to Preparing for a Tenancy page