How can we help you...

About Us


How We Work

Every school in Aberdeen City has an allocated Educational Psychologist who visits the school on a regular basis. To find out the name of the current Educational Psychologist for a school, please contact the Educational Psychology Service on 01224 764714.

We work within Aberdeen City Council's Staged Procedure:

1. Universal - all children will have access to universal services if the need arises. Whilst school staff would take the lead in supporting children's learning, the Educational Psychologist can provide general (non-pupil specific) advice on learning, behaviour and teaching approaches. We would call this an Early Intervention Consultation.


2. Targeted - some children will experience a short or longer-term barrier to learning or wellbeing and this may necessitate the school providing a more targeted intervention. An Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Child's Plan will be developed to help co-ordinate and measure the impact of support. If it is felt there is a direct role for an Educational Psychologist, the school will negotiate this in collaboration with the parent or carer. Examples include individual assessment, observation, group work. 


3. Specialist - a small percentage of children will require more specialised support and may have a number of agencies and services involved. They will have a Child's Plan and may access an individualised curriculum delivered by a range of partners but co-ordinated by school. Where appropriate, the EP will continue to assist in the planning process.

More information regarding the stages of the procedure can be found by clicking on the link below.

Aberdeen City Staged Procedure



Educational Psychologists negotiate work with individual schools and work across the following three levels:

  • Child and Family
  • School
  • Local Authority


Within each level we have 5 core functions:

  1. Consultation
  2. Assessment
  3. Intervention
  4. Research
  5. Training


We also have statutory functions as outlined in the Education (Scotland) Act 1980. These include the giving of advice to parents, schools and local authorities regarding children with additional support needs.

All Educational Psychologists working for Aberdeen City Council are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as required by law. Information about the registration of Educational Psychologists can be found on the link below.

 HCPC Website 


Return to Aberdeen City Educational Psychology Service home page.