How can we help you...


Students, students' non-British spouses and dependants of students are also disregarded for the purposes of discount for the period of study. The student's spouse must not be permitted to work in Britain or be able to receive any state benefit. A student will qualify for this disregard category if they are:

  • A foreign language assistant
  • Undertaking a full-time course of education
  • The course of Education must be run by a prescribed educational establishment and must last for a minimum of 1 year (minimum of 24 weeks attendance). An average of 21 hours per week of study, tuition and work experience would be required.
  • Undertaking a qualifying course of education
  • The student must be under 20 years of age, their course must last for at least 3 months, and they must attend college for at least 12 hours per week.
  • A student nurse
  • This only applies if the student is in receipt of a bursary.

Evidence requirements: Passports need to be provided as evidence for non British student's spouses and dependants. We may contact students to ask them to provide evidence of their full-time course start and end dates in form of a certificate from their student registration office.

How to apply for Household Discount

If all residents in a property are full time students you may be entitled to Council Tax Exemption. Please see the Council Tax Information for Students page for more information.

How to apply for Council Tax Student Exemption


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to  Contact Us

Back to the Discounts and Exemptions page.