In my area
Use the Aberdeen City Council Interactive Mapping service to explore your local area
Severely Mentally Impaired
A person will qualify for this disregard category if they have a severe learning disability or a severe mental impairment which appears permanent and if they are in receipt of one of the qualifying State Benefits:
- Employment and Support Allowance,
- Incapacity Benefit,
- Attendance Allowance,
- Severe Disability Allowance,
- the higher or middle rate care component of Disability Living Allowance,
- an increase in the rate of Disablement Pension for Constant Attendance,
- Disability Working Allowance,
- Unemployability Supplement/Allowance,
- Constant Attendance Allowance,
- Disabled Person's Tax Credits.
Exemption may also be awarded if a person has underlying entitlement to any of these Benefits, but does not receive them for reason of age (DLA stops at 65).
This exemption can be awarded for an unlimited time, i.e. as long as the property continues to be solely occupied by people who are severely mentally impaired and remain in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits.
Evidence requirements: A part of the discount application form must be signed and completed by a registered medical practitioner. Evidence of the severely mentally impaired person's State Benefits must be provided with the application form.
How to apply
- Apply Online
- Download a copy of the Severely Mentally Impaired Discount/Exemption Enquiry Form.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to Contact Us.
Back to the Discounts, Exemptions and Reductions page.