How can we help you...

Contact Us

Council Tax and Housing Benefit Appointments


Do you need to talk about Council Tax or Housing Benefits? If you're short on time or have a busy schedule, you might want to consider booking an appointment. Our customer Service Advisors will be happy to see you on your time at our Customer Service Centre in the heart of Aberdeen.

Give us a call on 03000 200 292 (lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am - 6pm) to talk to one of our advisors and book an appointment in Marischal College at a time that suits you.

Once you have booked your appointment if you need to cancel or rearrange, please call the number above to let us know.

When you arrive for your appointment head over to the right as you enter Marischal College and introduce yourself to our floorwalkers. They'll check you into your appointment and show you where to wait for your advisor to meet you. Appointments are available for bookings of twenty minutes up to an hour, allowing us to give you the time and care you need.

Contact us online

Write to us

  • Revenues and Benefits
    Corporate Governance
    Business Hub 16
    Third Floor West, Marischal College
    Broad Street
    Aberdeen, AB10 1AB
    Fax: 01224 346700

Telephone us

  • 03000 200 292 (lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm)


Visit us in person

Further information 

Council Tax decisions

If you are not satisfied with a Council Tax decision you should put your grievance in writing marked Appeal, to the Council Tax office.  We will look at your grievance and let you know our decision as soon as we can.

If you are not satisfied with our response you can appeal to the Valuation Appeals Committee who are an independent body set up to listen to Council Tax appeals.

You may represent yourself at your appeal or you may choose to use a representative, a representative can be a Lawyer or anyone else.

You or your representative must sign your appeal and it must contain the following information:

  • Your name, address and the date.
  • The address of the property (if different).
  • The reference number shown on your Council Tax bill and the date of issue.
  • Your reasons for appealing and any proof that supports your appeal.
  • If a representative signs for you, they must also include their name and address. 

You may appeal the following:

  • Liability
  • Discounts
  • Exemptions
  • Calculations on the amount of tax (other than Council Tax Benefit/Reduction decisions)
  • Penalties

To appeal send your written appeal within 4 months of the date on which your grievance was first raised with the Council Tax office to:

  • Wayne Connell
    Revenues and Benefits Manager
    Revenues and Benefits
    Corporate Governance
    Business Hub 16
    Third Floor West, Marischal College
    Broad Street
    Aberdeen, AB10 1AB

You must continue to pay the amount shown on your bill until you receive the outcome of your appeal or review.

The information provided to, and collected by, the Council for the administration of Council Tax may be used for the delivery of Council Services, where to do so is considered to be likely to enhance the efficiency and/ effectiveness with services are delivered.

The Council may check information that you provide, or that another organisation provides about you, with other information it holds. It may also get information about you from other organisations, or give information to them to check that the information is accurate, to prevent or detect crime, or to protect public funds in other ways, as allowed by law. These other organisations could include government departments, local authorities or private companies.

The Council will not release information about you to anyone outside the Council unless the law allows it to. It will use your information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.

A list of Council Services which make use of information collected on Council Tax forms are:

  • Housing Issues eg Housing Repairs, Landlord Registration Scheme
  • Housing Benefits
  • Educational Benefits
  • Free School Meals
  • Accord Card Eligibility
  • Entitlement to Right to Buy your Council House
  • Parking Issues e.g. Penalty Charge Notices, Bus Lane Charge Notices

Back to the Council Tax and Benefits home page.